Multicon_Retro: Arcade stick for NES, SNES and Atari

Awesome! Not sure how much I'd trust mdf for mounting the controls, though.
I especially appreciate the bunny in unit 00 and the use of headers.
it would be really cool if you could have a single output, either by bus switches, or just by throwing them all onto one line and hoping it works.

Thanks guys!

ttsgeb: Actually MDF is pretty good for this application provided you do a couple things (I learned thing while making my arcade cabinet):

1. Ensure it is a painted all the way by several coats. If water gets in, if expands, delaminates, and... you know the rest :)

2. Ensure it does not bend. If the piece you use has a good thickness to surface area ration, then the piece will remain rigid, and all is good; but if you allow it to bend (due to the force of pressing down while playing), then the wholes for the controls slowly expand over time, which means cracking, etc.

Also, I agree having a single output would be great. Just wiring directly to a single plug would not be a great idea, because the Commodore machines put 5v on one of those lines, and I am afraid it will bork up one of the Nintendo boards. I thought about switching diodes to prevent that, but you may need a two-way flow on those lines.

I'm not familiar with bus switches. Can you explain a little more?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/how- ... -switcher/

I've just had really bad luck with MDF splitting or flaking apart in the past. Maybe I get flax MDF or am really bad at using it, but I don't much trust it anymore. The Acrylic you put over it makes me less worried about it, though. Curious though, is there a support in the middle to help prevent flex a bit more? Every little bit counts.

Thanks for the link. I will give it a good read.

I don't have any additional middle support for the deck MDF. It's 0.25" thick, which for it's width (around 10") is pretty inflexible; plus having it screwed securely to the bottom adds additional stiffness as each of the corners resists an opposing inwards force.

For my arcade cabinet though, I used fairly hefty stiffeners glued to the the deck, as that was pretty wide, and definitely had a lot of flex without any help.

I'm not sure I share your hate about the NES and SNES controller, but your arcade stick is awesome.

Back