Pad hacks

Drakon

So I had a bunch of cheap old spare control pads for various systems sitting around. And I straight wired some arcade sticks into svga ports for use with my arcade supergun here:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5558

So I figured.....why not make padhacks for fun?! ....and so I did. Some console games are pretty darn fun with a nice arcade stick. I really enjoy sonic 2, mega man 2, super marioland, tetris (gameboy), as well as a good collection of fighting games using arcade sticks. Half of these pcbs I'd already wired into arcade sticks in the past for various projects and then just removed the pcbs and had them sitting in my closet all ready to be wired into whatever. I just bought some cheap project boxes from an electronics store and installed svga ports into them. I didn't do anything super fancy didn't even sand any surfaces flat just painted over the glue so atleast the colour matched the box. Anyway here's a picture of the pad hacks stacked on top of each other (sorry about the bad quality lazy picture taking on my part)

padhacks.jpg

The bottom one has a big letter that I bought before I found out my store carried smaller letters. Anyway here's a description of the pad hacks

The top one (letter p) is a pcb that supports playstation 2, 1, and xbox 1. Also plugging it into a ps1 to usb adapter lets me use the stick on my pc.

The middle one (letter g) is just a sega genesis control stick but you could probably also use it with an atari and commodore systems. It's just a 3 button controller I don't have any genesis games that make use of 6 buttons

And the bottom pad hack (big letter N) is a snes pad. A long time ago I found out that the snes pad is fully compatible with a nes so I just wired a nes plug into the end of the cord so that pad hack works on both my snes and nes.

And I also use a super gameboy in my snes to play gameboy games with my arcade sticks. Once again here's the stick that's compatible with these pad hacks as well as my supergun

hrap.jpg

it's a hrap (hori real arcade pro) 2 sa (special...addition?) where I replaced the sanwa with a seimitsu ls32 and removed the restrictor plate

I have a second stick that's compatible with this stuff too but it's literally a stick built out of spare parts so I didn't bother taking a picture of it. But it uses the sanwa taken out of the hrap so it's still a great stick

Building cords for these pad hacks was a bit tricky. For wires I found old printer cables in the trash/at garage sales which have more than the 15 wires I need to straight wire up my sticks. And for the male connectors I had this old dvd decoder card that I wasn't using anymore that had a short male to male svga cord that went from the main video card into the decoder card. Luckily this short cable had all 15 pins of the svga cord wired on seperate wires which I found out afterwards is a really rare thing.

Here's what my connector looks like going from a stick into an extension cord. I just built the female connector into a smallish project box

extensioncordplug.jpg

And here's the end of the extension cord that goes into a pad hack or supergun. Again I used a small project box to hide the massive amounts of soldered wires and electrical tape that connect an old printer cable into a svga jack.

cordend.jpg

That was a fun side project

βeta said:
Cool.

Love your arcade stick choice.

thanks a lot. My friends all love my arcade stick and they all have very expensive sticks of their own. I got lucky with this stick because I found a guy selling it for 65$ because the controller cord on it was chewed up by a cat. But the stick itself was in perfect condition so I just took out the cord and straight wired it and slapped in a nice seimitsu and now it rocks.

Drakon said:
βeta said:
Cool.

Love your arcade stick choice.

thanks a lot. My friends all love my arcade stick and they all have very expensive sticks of their own. I got lucky with this stick because I found a guy selling it for 65$ because the controller cord on it was chewed up by a cat. But the stick itself was in perfect condition so I just took out the cord and straight wired it and slapped in a nice seimitsu and now it rocks.
wat

Pretty sweet. Not the nicest looking stuff, but it gets the job done.

You can use XBOX 1 stuff on a PC with just a simple pin adapter.. It's USB with a weird connector.

XCVG said:
Pretty sweet. Not the nicest looking stuff, but it gets the job done.

You can use XBOX 1 stuff on a PC with just a simple pin adapter.. It's USB with a weird connector.

ahh cool I didn't know that. Just had the adapters sitting around from many years ago

how much less sensitive are seimitsus? i know its the in between of happ and sanwa.

im on a te round 1 stick right now that i plan to overhaul (plexi, artwork, new ball top and maybe stick pcb, octagonal restrictor plate, ect)
and i thought that for my artwork it be cool to have clear buttons hence the seimitsu switch. i kinda think that the sanwa buttons are a bit too
sensitive. is there much difference? i have happ comp with actual red cherrys (even those are gone now =\ rip)

and just cause i feel like postin, heres the art and the cab

vht07b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul7wPshima4

EDIT: oh man i forgot how long i had the vid before i uploaded it!
the wiring is much nicer now. i feel embarrassed ha :oops:
that and that nasty namco graphic is now gone too.
and to top it off, part 2 has some backlit gameboys and my pn64! oh, back in the day... :cry4:

I don't have any Sanwa buttons for comparison, but I can tell you that Seimitsu ones are nothing like North American parts. Much quieter, and more a bump than click. Very little resistance.

That design is simply amazing.

why thank you! its one of my first serious photoshop creations actually!
i cant wait to apply it. btw, the white dot will actually not be in the final print, the dust ring will cover that.

i love to express my inner nerd!

XCVG, do you ever find yourself moving your hand/fingers over the buttons and accidentally activating them? would you call them too sensitive?

There's some resistance, but it's a nice smooth feel. I heard Sanwas have almost no resistance. I have 24mm screw ins, but they should have the same feel as 30mm snap ins. There was a good thread on Shoryuken, I'll see if I can find it.

XCVG said:
I don't have any Sanwa buttons for comparison, but I can tell you that Seimitsu ones are nothing like North American parts. Much quieter, and more a bump than click. Very little resistance.

Buy Seimitsu hamburger!

Happ is a completely different type of button- an "American" button (although they are made in China now). From what I can tell, Japanese buttons are much quieter, have shorter throws and much less resistance as well as convex tops. They do not feel like the ones in western arcades. Japanese buttons are generally considered better for fighters and shooters. I'm not sure what American buttons are considered better for.

Between the sticks, however, the differences are more subtle. Generally Japanese sticks are smaller, have a smaller deadzone and different restrictors. Japanese sticks usually have balltops, American sticks usually have battops.

American sticks are better for being cheap, and for holding up to abusive 8 year olds at arcades.

Back