Motherboard fried?

SonyQrio said:
Second, that capacitor is the most valuable power cap. You'll have to get one from another board, or just get an entirely new board.
So far, that's the best info you've gotten, and it makes sense. If it really is a needed component that needs to be replaced with one from another board, begging for help isn't going to magically fix it. Sounds like the best thing to do is head over to the junkyard and see if anyone happens to have a dead GC board they would sell you/get the part from and sell it to you.

(note: I don't know anything about this part of the GC, so I'm just assuming Sony knows what he's talking about)

SonyQrio said:
First of all, a component with a "C" in front of it is a "Capacitor," not a transistor. That confused us...

Second, that capacitor is the most valuable power cap. You'll have to get one from another board, or just get an entirely new board.

Sony, that is not correct :neutral2:

The C247 cap is not needed at all (its by the power pins on the edge of the board). Any of the caps by the power pins CAN BE REMOVED. In fact, that hole corner of the board, including the on board amp could be trimmed right off (although the big caps on the other side would need some relocating).

@master, Are you wiring to the original power pins of the motherboard? Make sure 1.9 and 3.43 are not mixed up. Make sure your grounding is good. MAKE SURE, nothing is bridging over there. When you turn on the board, do the chips get hot.

Also, you need a multi-meter to truly troubleshoot a motherboard. It is key. If you do not have one, you can get one for pretty cheap on ebay (15 dollars ish IIR). With a multimeter you can test each voltage line and see what happens when you turn on the system. If the voltage is bridged somewhere, you will see the number go down to 0 very fast. If the voltage is only half what its supposed to be, you need better wiring (either thicker or better solder connection).

90% of my motherboard issues are from ground bridging with a voltage somewhere.

EDIT Show us a picture of your motherboard. A nice clean shot of where you broke the cap and show us your wiring. ALSO, motherboards can be bought on ebay for 10 dollars shipped. So if you dont want to waste time, and have 10 bucks, that is a solution.

@Tchay, Yes I am, and can you show me a actual pinout becuase when I was doing that I was using my notes and my notes are poorley done, it also from Kasers "How to build a gamecube portable". How do I make my grounding good? And I'm not sure if anything is or would be bridging. No when I turn it on the board the chips do not get hot and also I get no video. So that means it not the video chips fault right? Also I forgot and didn't want to mention that when I tried to take off the gba port on the bottom of my board it made a big copper spot, but when I tried it out, it still worked. Do you think that it's a problem with that? I don't think so.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6476

Ashens guide, scroll down 1/3 of the page and you will see powerp pinout of the motherboard (same as Kasars, but maybe a little easier to understand). I can't post pics on this work computer, but that guide will help you.

Once again, I really need to see a picture of your motherboard before I can determine what is fatal and what is not.

Your chips are not getting hot, which could be bad. But it also could just be that the voltage isn't going through. If you have a multimeter you can find out right away which voltages are going through.

make grounding good by having redundancy (more than one ground wire). sand the board on the edge to the copper beneath and solder to the edge of the board for ground. Have at least 3 thin wires or 2 thick wires for ground.

Sorry for double posting but now my Gamecube works but the thing is that the audio doesn't work now I think it has to do with me using psu wire for the power port.

master801 said:
Sorry for double posting but now my Gamecube works but the thing is that the audio doesn't work now I think it has to do with me using psu wire for the power port.

Less than 5 minutes of searching the stickies will solve most of your problems, especially audio.

Not to be harsh, but, at this point, you need to be able to help yourself a little, or else you will have trouble succeeding in this hobby.

Thanks but I'm gonna try something else tomorrow. Please do not post to this thread anymore. Unless you have the same problem as me.

Back