Motherboard finding.

desmin88

For Christmas I'm looking to get a new motherboard, and another 9800 GT so I can SLI them.

However, I've never used SLI and know nothing about it, does anybody know of a good AM3, DDR3 1333 motherboard than can SLI?

You'd probably be better off upgrading to a better video card, as the 9800s are getting pretty old.

I agree with bic. It'll probably be better price-performance wise to get a new videocard. You'll probably be better off with a Radeon HD 6870 than a Geforce GTX 460, since CrossfireX motherboards are cheaper than SLi ones. Don't fall for the incremental upgrade trap. It's screwed me before. (Radeon All-in-wonder 9800+Core 2 Duo E6300+ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA=issues. Radeon HD 4670+Core 2 Duo E6300+ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA=more issues)

A lot of people say Intel is better, which is true to a point. Up to about the $250 range AMD and Intel are pretty much competitive. Above that AMD quite literally has nothing to offer.

And on to some actual suggestions. First off, AM3 SLI capable boards as per your initial request.
ASUS 750a
ASUS 980a
The main difference between the 750a and 980a chipsets seems to be that the 980a supports dual x16 mode, the 750a only does dual x8. It's a matter of debate whether it makes a difference or not. From what I can gather, it does make a difference, but not a huge difference.

Now, AMD chipset CrossfireX capable boards if you decide to go for a new videocard.
ASUS 890GX
Gigabyte 890FX
Both of these motherboards supports CrossfireX. The 890GX has integrated graphics as well- AMD's chipset hierarchy is weird, but at least they have a hierarchy (I'm looking at you, H55, H57, Q47, P55, and P47). The 890FX lacks integrated graphics but supports dual x16 mode and triple CrossfireX.

Back