Leaving a console on without a cartridge or disc in?

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the research and design phase of my next project, which is a multisystem with 4 consoles, NES to GC. One of the features of my system is that instead of using a pull/throw switch to accommodate each system I want to use 5 (one for the startup screen) momentary switches coupled with a flip flop of some kind (D, T).

In order to use momentary switches, I would need to use some sort of IC or latch to keep a momentary switch virtually actuated. Now, I'll be doing my research on types of gates and sequences but essentially the system would be a lot simpler if I could leave all 4 systems on at the same time so I didn't have to build two sequences.

So my question is, does it harm either the NES, SNES, N64, and GC when the system is left on without a game inserted? I'll go elsewhere for logic gate and latch help, I just want to know if keeping all the systems on will shorten the lifespan of these systems.

Thanks guys!

Nope, no harm will be done.

The first three consoles just won't do anything, Gamecube will just sit at the memory card screen.

Don't see why it would cause any significant damage, but you'd have a slightly higher power bill.

Zero said:
Don't see why it would cause any significant damage, but you'd have a slightly higher power bill.

Plasma TV already did that for me...

Anyway, it seems like instead of building my own logic circuit, I could just buy a standard 5 way composite switch and rewire the buttons. That should save a lot of time and money. The one thing I'll need to do is wire each toggle button to the reset switch of the corresponding console so that an inserted game will automatically boot on start up. (not a problem for gamecube but necessary for n64 and older)

Thanks for the help!

Back