JRPGs

grossaffe

President Groosevelt
Staff member
I've attempted to get into more JRPGs recently, but I find there are very few I can get into. What are the best in the genre, and what are the most unique? Which ones have the best stories? Which games are good for people who don't like some of the old JRPG staples like grinding and random battles?

Eternal Sonata is one of my favorite games ever. Fighting pirates in instance battles with Frederic Chopin? Hells yes! *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, I want to play it again right now just thinking about it.

Aux said:
Eternal Sonata is one of my favorite games ever. Fighting pirates in instance battles with Frederic Chopin? Hells yes! *PLAQUE*, I want to play it again right now just thinking about it.
I've read a bit about that one. It's got an interesting premise, but it's gotten some pretty mixed reviews. Then again, I suppose a lot of the genre is pretty niche so mixed reviews are to be expected.

I'm loving Persona 4 Golden at the moment. Cracking story line that covers some rather sensitive themes (such as gender identity and sexuality) in a really mature way.

DK  said:
I'm loving Persona 4 Golden at the moment. Cracking story line that covers some rather sensitive themes (such as gender identity and sexuality) in a really mature way.
My only exposure to Persona 4 was a video Zero linked me to, I believe, showing off an attack that involves shooting yourself in the head. Perhaps I need to give it a closer look.

grossaffe said:
DK  said:
My only exposure to Persona 4 was a video Zero linked me to, I believe, showing off an attack that involves shooting yourself in the head. Perhaps I need to give it a closer look.

I have never played Persona but I watched a friend. I believe the premise of the franchise is that shooting yourself in the head releases latent psychic/magic powers.

grossaffe said:
DK  said:

Persona 3 is the one where they shoot themselves in the head. It's a fantastic game, but I'd be lying if I said there was no grinding whatsoever, since there is a huge dungeon crawler element to it. However, there are enough other things to do that it never feels tedious, and you'll usually decide to go into the dungeon of your own free will, and the nights where it's mandatory to go are fairly limited.

What platforms are you looking at specifically? I'm going to be guessing Gamecube/Wii, older PC titles, and anything that can be emulated on PC, right?

Zero said:
grossaffe said:
DK  said:

Persona 3 is the one where they shoot themselves in the head. It's a fantastic game, but I'd be lying if I said there was no grinding whatsoever, since there is a huge dungeon crawler element to it. However, there are enough other things to do that it never feels tedious, and you'll usually decide to go into the dungeon of your own free will, and the nights where it's mandatory to go are fairly limited.

What platforms are you looking at specifically? I'm going to be guessing Gamecube/Wii, older PC titles, and anything that can be emulated on PC, right?
Nintendo consoles would certainly be my preference as that's what I have most readily available. I probably won't emulate anything until I build a desktop, which I'm hoping to have money for with a summer internship, but I haven't got one set in stone just yet.

That certainly limits the amount of games then, but I'd take a look at Baten Kaitos/Baten Kaitos Origins, Skies of Arcadia, and Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube to start. Those should keep you entertained until you get your desktop built.

Skies of Arcadia is apparently superior on the Dreamcast, just so you know, not sure if you have one of those.

Yeah, I played the DC version myself. I'm not sure what's worse about the GC version besides the audio quality, since I never played that version.

Kickback said:
Skies of Arcadia is apparently superior on the Dreamcast, just so you know, not sure if you have one of those.
It is actually the only non-nintendo console I own. Had a friend that was giving it away, so I swooped in and claimed it. Came with two Mad Catz light-guns (the official light gun in NA because Sega didn't want to release a gun in America after Columbine), which I believe aren't all that common. I haven't booted that thing up in a long time. I'll have to re-learn how to burn games for it.

edit: I decided to do some reading on the version differences. Looks like the Dreamcast version looked a little better and sounded better, but the gamecube version had fewer random encounters which apparently the dreamcast version is infamous for, and it added extra content.

I'm leaning towards the gamecube side because I can see myself becoming frustrated with the random encounters. That's part of the reason why I gave up on Final Fantasy VI before I got very far.

I've also recently picked up Opoona and Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon for the Wii to see if I enjoy either of those.

I didn't know the differences myself too much, you have to be careful of those because Dreamcast fanboys assume that DC versions > *

Random encounters can be a bit of a pisstake, I like the way Chrono Trigger & Earthbound handled it.

Kickback said:
I didn't know the differences myself too much, you have to be careful of those because Dreamcast fanboys assume that DC versions > *
oh yeah, I know all about them dreamcast fanboys. Did a little more reading on Wikipedia and it says the reason why sound is worse on the gamecube is because they compressed it so that the whole game would fit on one disk, while on the dreamcast they made it across two discs. Other than sound, though, gamecube has better loading times and fewer framerate drops.
Random encounters can be a bit of a pisstake, I like the way Chrono Trigger & Earthbound handled it.
There were some parts of earthbound that could get annoying with enemies that were too fast to avoid (and if you tried, they'd get the jump entering battle from behind you), but at least you could see them coming. Chrono trigger was ahead of it's time, I think, with the way they handled it not even leaving to go to a battle screen, but rather fighting right in the environment. I also rather enjoyed Super Mario RPG as another one of those games where you could see the enemies you were going to battle. Being in iso-3d with jumping made avoidance a bit more platforming-like.

And Zero, I've been meaning to get into Baten Kaitos, since I'm a big fan of what Monolith has done with Xenoblade, so that's definitely high on my list.

Finally got my hands on a legit copy of Xenoblade. Goes for over $100 on Amazon, but was able to get it at a local gamestop for $60. Called in ahead of time to make sure it was still in stock and reserve it 20 minutes before someone else called in looking to take it. Sadly, though, it didn't come with a manual :(

Usually, Nintendo published games have replacement manuals available from Nintendo for $2.

Unfortunately, it looks like for whatever reason Xenoblade isn't included on that list. You could try calling them directly and ask if they have any though.

Zero said:
Usually, Nintendo published games have replacement manuals available from Nintendo for $2.

Unfortunately, it looks like for whatever reason Xenoblade isn't included on that list. You could try calling them directly and ask if they have any though.
Cool, I'll have to look into that. Maybe, though, being a gamestop exclusive has something to do with it :(

Just finished Fragile Dreams. It felt much more Silent Hill (Shattered Memories, to be more specific) than it did traditional JRPG. Not as dark and surreal as Silent Hill, but it was pretty atmospheric. There seems to be quite a bit of loneliness despite how little of the game you are without some sort of companion. The main story was alright, but I think everything else going on around it was more interesting. Some of the final memories of the departed told some touching or depressing stories as they faced their death and either pushed forward. Overall, I'd say it's a hit-or-miss game. Better than the 67 metacritic rating it received, i'd put it at around 75. Worth playing if you like atmospheric experiences.

Back