Is a MEGAdrive needed to use a modchip?

Cllinw

I don't know anything about this except that they are a replacement for the disk drive. If anyone could tell me what these are for and how they make building a GCp easier, that would be awesome. Also, can you wire a modchip straight to the GC motherboard and get rid of the disk drive board all together? Thanks in advance.

I know where to get them. I'm just confused by why someone would need it in the first place. I have a Rev C GameCube and have disconnected the disk drive and take off the slot, so I was wondering if I would need to use one along side a WASP Fusion.

To solder a wasp to your gamecube, you would have to solder to a 32 pin ffc cable which is a real pain. The megadrive v5 allows you to easily connect your wasp to your gamecube since it is an easy solder board to which you can connect the ffc cable of the wasp. Watch megalomaniac's explanatory video on badassconsoles to see how it works.

The WASP fusion is the Wiikey fusion. The MEGAdrive is a breakout board that's used because soldering to the original connector is a Sega.

Back