I have a proper TF2 server now!

Bibin

Frequent Poster
So, I've come across some extra computer hardware. Some software setup, and a TF2 server is born!

The IP is 129.21.111.30:27015 , and it does show up in the official steam server list as "Wildcard TF2" (wildcard being a floor in-joke)

Right now I've only got pl_downpour_pass_b1 as the custom map and a few other normal ones in rotation, but I'm open to suggestions.

Here's a spiffy pic of the mount I have for the server:

desksrv.JPG

Yes, it's mounted underneath the worktable I made.

That's pretty awesome. We should all arrange a meet up time to play on there.

Bicostp is mostly right - an index card repeatedly wrapped in masking tape wedges in there to hold the fan in place. The southbridge ( wee silver heatsink ) gets hilariously painfully hot otherwise :neutral2:

The fan at 7V works rather nicely, and it's whisper quiet. It's easy to forget it is there.

So we're planning on playing at 10:00 PM EST (6 hours from this post) on Wildcard, so get your TF2 together and join 129.21.111.30:27015 !

Bibin said:
The southbridge ( wee silver heatsink ) gets hilariously painfully hot otherwise :neutral2:

Check for bad capacitors.

When caps go bad, the PCs start to act flaky and get really hot because the voltage regulation goes screwy. I've got a Dell GX280 on my desk at work now that runs for about 2 minutes before it goes into thermal shutdown. Both the chipset heatsink and the bottom of the CPU cooler get too hot to touch, and it turned out most of the caps near the CPU socket and two near the RAM slots are poofy.

bic said:
Bibin said:
The southbridge ( wee silver heatsink ) gets hilariously painfully hot otherwise :neutral2:

Check for bad capacitors.

When caps go bad, the PCs start to act flaky and get really hot because the voltage regulation goes screwy. I've got a Dell GX280 on my desk at work now that runs for about 2 minutes before it goes into thermal shutdown. Both the chipset heatsink and the bottom of the CPU cooler get too hot to touch, and it turned out most of the caps near the CPU socket and two near the RAM slots are poofy.

I'd checked them (out of habit, I remember the mid-2000s :wtf: ), they seem fine. It runs hot because the integrated ATI X1250 gets stupid hot on its own and doesn't help the rest of the southbridge.

The main reason it gets that hot is because it's 100% passive, and there's no computer case to direct any airflow; that tiny little fan is enough to help out so the hot air isn't just stagnating all over the heatsink.

HWMonitor reports pretty decent voltages all around, anyway.

Is the Northbridge getting hot or the Southbridge? Because the fan isn't oriented the right way to cool the Southbridge, unless you have the most backwards motherboard on Earth.

I want to play more MR TF2~

Also, bibin, you should give Zero and I the ability to kick people. One of us is always around, and that thing that happened last time with that one guy was pretty annoying.

SS

I don't have sourcemod installed; Once I do that things like kicking and ID banning will become a lot easier.

Back