Huge problem with LED modding. :(

Hi everyone, I'm on my second screen, and I've wired my LED array. After wiring four of them together, I can't seem to solder the wires to ANYTHING on the screen's board. Nothing sticks.

I'm so close to being done! Just 2 more connections and I can start putting everything in the case.

Are there any alternate ways of giving the LED's power? Is it my flux? Is it my solder? What am I doing wrong?!

-Eric

You can get wires to stick better if you use flux when you solder.

pRS1C-2110791w345.jpg

I've been, but it's not working :(. I've left my flux unsealed before, could that have done something to its effectiveness?

Should I try organic flux instead of rosin core? I've heard acid flux is a no-no.

thats odd. i never had issues with any psone screen boards. is it a zenith screen or a true psone screen? i have ran across a zenith with super glue over the 7805, that could be the problem (although, in my experience, super glue just burns and creates awful fumes when soldered)

It worked! I took Beta's post and switched to a 40 watt iron instead of a 30. All 4 LED's are lighting up :D.

Quick question though, my screen is very fragile, as in, if I move it, the signal gets very strained and sometimes even goes out. Also my colors are inverted sometimes. Before I would fix this by plugging in the backlight, but I removed the top of the screen like most people. What should I do?

I'll bet you the problem is not so much the wattage of your iron as the tip. It's probably got lots of old solder and gunk on it. Try cleaning it with a wet sponge or those brass shavings. If that fails, get some FINE sandpaper (>600 grit) and lightly sand the tip a little.

It's good to shave down your iron tip to a point every now and then, then tin it with solder.

Back