How to switch between internal and external GCp controller?

SpecialHam

Hi, I cant remember how I'm supposed to be able to switch between the internal p1 controller and an external one.

You can use a switch that redirects between the two controllers right?

Thanks-

Re: How to switch between internal and external GCp controll

Switch with three poles.

Center: data p1 from mobo
Left: data to internal chip
Right: data to external plug

you can see how I did it here along with switching power for the screen as well.
GC%20wiring%20diagram%201_1.jpg

No problem. In that diagram its labeled av control switch. Switches between having the player 1 in the external controller hub as well as turning the screen on the portable off and the internal controller and screen on. Didnt mention that part sorry

Bakuku said:
Switch with three poles.

Center: data p1 from mobo
Left: data to internal chip
Right: data to external plug

Hello again.

I connected the 3.3v, 5 volt and ground from the internal controller to the external one and put a 3 pole switch between the data line just like you said. I cant get it to work.

Am I doing something wrong? thanks :)

Sorry, not OP but I have a related question. In the diagram posted, does this just switch between the internal controller and P1 slot controller? What I'm really asking is whether the other 3 people would still be able to use their controllers.

That should only switch between the built-in controller of the portable and the player one port where you plug in the 1st player external controller. The other 3 players would be unaffected.

you should only need to disconnect ground from the internal controller for the GC to ignore it.

Wouldn't it be easier/safer to just disconnect the data line?

that could work too, I'm just wondering if there is a sense line squeezed in there

I should mention that I never finished that portable to confirm that the diagram i made was working correctly

Namelessone, you're correct. Wiring the Data Line to the switch is the correct way to do it. I've done it that way in many of my portables. When using a switch, it is always the best practice to use the voltage connections (in this case, data) for switching, not the ground connections.

Diminuendo said:
that could work too, I'm just wondering if there is a sense line squeezed in there
On the Gamecube controller there are 6 connections. 3 Grounds, Data, 3.3v and 5v. There is no dedicated sense line per say, but that is essentially the function of the Data Line. Using a 3 pole switch to change the data line to go from the internal source to an external source should be as simple as wiring the data from the motherboard to the common pin and wiring the internal and external controllers to the left and right pins.

To the op. Double check your connections. You almost certainly have something wired incorrectly if it is not working. Make sure your ground and 3.3v lines are wired properly as 5v is only used for rumble. If you did what was instructed in this thread it should work flawlessly.

Back