How do you solder?

I've found that a sponge that is absolutely soaked doesn't work because it cools the solder too much. A somewhat damp one is better. Also regardless of thermal shock cleaning your tips is much better than not doing it.

About flux, normal rosin core solder has flux in it. I can solder to traces without flux. There is a specific technique though. Only take off as much solder mask as you need. Then heat up the bare copper and put the solder to it. It works, reheat and attach tinned wire. Yay!

XCVG said:
I've found that a sponge that is absolutely soaked doesn't work because it cools the solder too much. A somewhat damp one is better. Also regardless of thermal shock cleaning your tips is much better than not doing it.

About flux, normal rosin core solder has flux in it. I can solder to traces without flux. There is a specific technique though. Only take off as much solder mask as you need. Then heat up the bare copper and put the solder to it. It works, reheat and attach tinned wire. Yay!

I agree on the damp sponge thing, however, I use rosin core solder and still use flux. It makes for a VERY secure joint that you can literally lift the board by. (I do not recommend this, however. :p )

DAMP SPONGES SHOULD BE BANNED.

st-40.jpg

It's called a Brass Sponge.
Go get one.

Cast away your cellulose filth.

So that's what they're called!

Thanks, jlee! I've been wanting one of those but I had no idea what they were called. Now I know what to look for!

Dood, I only posted that, like, ten seconds ago! I haven't even gotten a new tab open yet! But yes, I plan on buying one ASAP.

Twilight Wolf said:
Dood, I only posted that, like, ten seconds ago! I haven't even gotten a new tab open yet! But yes, I plan on buying one ASAP.
I BOUGHT 600 WHILE TYPING THIS POST, DID YOU?!

In all seriousness, I highly recommend everyone who solders frequently purchase one of these.
It's far superior to any cellulose sponge, it will keep your tip a lot cleaner than anything else will.
Not to mention, it doesn't wick as much heat as most other methods do, which is a huge help when soldering multiple connections with a low-wattage iron.

It just seems... dangerous. I don't know, maybe not. Now, where can you buy those brass sponges locally? (as in, walmart, radioshack, home depot, etc.)

Caredo said:
Basement_Modder said:
Where are they available?
I posted this link a while ago. They're like $2. Totally worth it.

As for local stores, I'd say Home Depot is your best bet. They have everything.

Yes they do, don't they? And I meant the one that came with that awesome plastic container that jleemero posted.

Basement_Modder said:
Caredo said:
Basement_Modder said:
Where are they available?
I posted this link a while ago. They're like $2. Totally worth it.

As for local stores, I'd say Home Depot is your best bet. They have everything.

Yes they do, don't they? And I meant the one that came with that awesome plastic container that jleemero posted.
Actually, the metal base ones are better: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8965

Actually, no. I know that I should, but my iron works fie anyway. I occasionally scrap the tip along sandpaper, but that's it. I have never replaced my tips either. Only ever replace desoldering iron tips.

ShockSlayer said:
You guys clean your irons? :lol:

SS

You don't? I can't imagine not doing so. It's frickin' impossible to get solder to melt when you've got a gunky tip, so I always clean it and tin it before and after I use it.

Back