How do you solder?

XCVG was randomly conceived to be my new name for Benheck, because I didn't want to use the same identity as everything else (I later posted my other usernames). The X stands for nothing, it's just cool. That's a throwback to my old username, (XT*Chris*TX) (later simplified XTChrisTX). It could be backronymed to "Xtreme". The C is Chris, my name. The VG part means Video Games. See, it's not as awesome as you all thought!

Anyway, back on topic, JD, do you have those tools I listed?

Not yet. I don't have the money. How much should the tools cost? A radioshack is like a bikeride away from me.

I've seen so many people soldering wrong that think they know they are doing it right. It really makes all the difference. It can be hard if you are doing it wrong, but if you know what you're doing, it should be smooth and simple.

I learned to solder from a guy who only worked with high voltage equipment, and pointy joints can discharge corona and waste electricity. Thanks to him, I am really only "good" at the ball drop method. It is kinda a pain to have to force myself to solder little stuff. :lol: However, it has been invaluable in building electronic weaponry. ;)

PalmerTech said:
I learned to solder from a guy who only worked with high voltage equipment, and pointy joints can discharge corona and waste electricity. Thanks to him, I am really only "good" at the ball drop method. It is kinda a pain to have to force myself to solder little stuff. :lol: However, it has been invaluable in building electronic weaponry. ;)
Well, I will have to keep the pointy joints tip in mind.

A tip for when you're soldering: make sure you've got a bowl of cool water nearby when you're working. This way, if you burn yourself, you can stick your fingers into the water and significantly slow any damage to your skin. Trust me, I've burned myself more than a few times when I first started out (happened last night, as well, as a matter of fact), and that bowl of water helped a ton!

Code:
To prevent another unnecessary post, I am taking over this one :D You guys need to learn to act mature, the only thing I hate more than seeing spam is someone making a post about how they hate spam, so don't make those, because they are spam, and then you just created an unending loop of spam! AND I DON'T LIKE THAT EITHER! So don't make me clean up after you guys anymore! :D 

SS

I never really get bothered enough by burns to put my hand in water. However I find a cup of water is good for squirting solder from a desoldering iron into. Just make sure the cup is disposable. You won't want to drink from a cup that once had lead or old flux in it.

themadhacker said:
I never really get bothered enough by burns to put my hand in water. However I find a cup of water is good for squirting solder from a desoldering iron into. Just make sure the cup is disposable. You won't want to drink from a cup that once had lead or old flux in it.

Agreed. Also, it is good to take some rubbing alcohol on the very corner of a sponge and dab it on the joint afterwards, just to make sure that the flux doesn't corrode the joint over time.

Personally, I don't like flux and I never have. For brazing things like copper pipe, I use flux, but for soldering I don't. I know some people swear up and down that you can't solder without flux but I do and it works fine. For SM components, it helps, but I've grown experienced without it so I work better without it.

Neildo_64 said:
Personally, I don't like flux and I never have. For brazing things like copper pipe, I use flux, but for soldering I don't. I know some people swear up and down that you can't solder without flux but I do and it works fine. For SM components, it helps, but I've grown experienced without it so I work better without it.
:o you BLASPHEMER!!! How do you solder to traces? If I don't use flux while soldering to them, the others around them melt because the solder takes so long to melt without it.

And, as for the burnt hands, I have this shampoo bottle filled with water that I wet my cleaning sponge with so that I don't ruin so many tips every year, that I just use to pour water on my hand, then pick up the towel I have and dry my hands off.

This stuff works wonders for cleaning the tip. Just be sure to re-tin it afterwards.

A wet sponge is a bad idea. Lowers the temperature and can cause damage (rapid changes in temperature are bad).

Caredo said:
This stuff works wonders for cleaning the tip. Just be sure to re-tin it afterwards.

A wet sponge is a bad idea. Lowers the temperature and can cause damage (rapid changes in temperature are bad).
My buddy has been doing it for roughly 60 years, and he recommended the sponge :lol:

I use a sponge with warm water to help with the whole hot to cold situation. Even if you start with cold water, the heat from the iron usually makes it warm by the time you've used it much.

Back