Here is a noob question...

0wnage Modz

Ok. So, is there any way to open the N64 without buying a gamebit driver? I don't feel like spending about $10 on a screw driver. Since I'm making my first portable, I'm not sure what to use.

$10 is a bit high, you can do better than that. You could also drill them out, heat them with a soldering iron and pull them out, make your own by cutting a screwdriver, or melt a bic pen onto the screw. Gamebits are soooooo worth the money, though. If you want to do a lot of modding, you have no reason NOT to buy a set. Large is for consoles, small is for cartridges. They work so much better than any other method.

Thanks, I'll look into buying one. If I were to drill them out, what bit would fit? I've seen people use a hex bit, but I'm not sure of the size.

I want to say it's like a 5/32" hex socket, but I'm honestly not sure. For drilling, you want it the size of the shaft of the screw. That should be something like 3/32" or 7/64". If you want to reuse the case, I really don't recommend drilling. Try the hex socket first.

I Just got some pliers and twisted them out. It took me around 20 min.(I didn't get the far one in the back because it was too far down so I broke that.) to get all of the screws out. You could also use the bic pen method.

In case it needs explanation:
The bic pen method...

For one thing, this is the pen you want:
s0070728_sc7

Completely plastic. Don't get the weird ones that aren't completely transparent. These aren't round, either.

Anyway, what you'll want to do is get a lighter, a match, or just something that has a small, open flame. You'll take the ink out of the pen and heat up the part of the plastic that the tip of the pen was in. You want it to barely catch fire - take the flame away and blow out the flame on the pen and then push it down on the screw head. Keep it in the EXACT SAME position the entire time and wait about 20 seconds for it to completely cool. Then twist out the screw.

If you do it well, you should be able to get all the screws with 1 or 2 pens.

Jidan said:
what you'll want to do is get a lighter, a match, or just something that has a small, open flame. You'll take the ink out of the pen and heat up the part of the plastic that the tip of the pen was in. You want it to barely catch fire - take the flame away and blow out the flame on the pen and then push it down on the screw head. Keep it in the EXACT SAME position the entire time and wait about 20 seconds for it to completely cool. Then twist out the screws.

Seriously. Thats just redundant and dangerous for such a very menial task :wtf: . To be honest, getting the screwdriver (the Nintendo one) is actually a good investment. It keeps the job of opening the N64 simple and fast, as opposed to figuring out other methods that will just will waste time and cause frustration, Trust me, I have one, and the tool literally pays itself off as you will be opening more than one N64 (if your trying to make a portable). No one ever really start off with one N64. Errors happen.

I've used every different method. The bic pen is easy and you already have everything you need to do it. Do that method 15 minutes after ordering a gambit.

SS

1) The Bic pen thing is easy and quick and IF YOU'RE NOT RETARDED you won't get hurt.
2) Gamebits are nice, but invest wisely. Those $2 + free shipping ones on ebay? Yeah, they're flax, and they will open up about half of an N64 before they strip and you feel bad.
3) Making your own is EASY, and pretty Dang cool. Guess what, a flathead screwdriver is about $1.50 at Wal-Mart/Sears/Orchards/Ace/True Value/Home Depot/Lowes/K-Mart/ANYWHEREELSEGODDangit and modifying it takes minutes.

jleemero said:
2) Gamebits are nice, but invest wisely. Those $2 + free shipping ones on ebay? Yeah, they're flax, and they will open up about half of an N64 before they strip and you feel bad.

I got mine for $2. I've opened at least 5 N64's most of which multiple times. Still working fine. Who knows maybe I just got lucky. But I'm really glad I got the gamebit. I tried every method before I bought the gamebit. Only one that worked for me was the bic pen method but I got sick of melting pens so I got a gamebit. Best investment I've made since I've started modding TBH.

this is the best gamebit to have. I bought this set a few months back. They're strong as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, cheap, and made n USA. (at least partially.)

Sonic4freedom said:
Jidan said:
what you'll want to do is get a lighter, a match, or just something that has a small, open flame. You'll take the ink out of the pen and heat up the part of the plastic that the tip of the pen was in. You want it to barely catch fire - take the flame away and blow out the flame on the pen and then push it down on the screw head. Keep it in the EXACT SAME position the entire time and wait about 20 seconds for it to completely cool. Then twist out the screws.

Seriously. Thats just redundant and dangerous for such a very menial task :wtf: . To be honest, getting the screwdriver (the Nintendo one) is actually a good investment. It keeps the job of opening the N64 simple and fast, as opposed to figuring out other methods that will just will waste time and cause frustration, Trust me, I have one, and the tool literally pays itself off as you will be opening more than one N64 (if your trying to make a portable). No one ever really start off with one N64. Errors happen.

The heck're you talking about? It takes a grand total of about 5 seconds to heat up the pen and another 20 (and you could get away with 10 or 15) for it to cool on the screw. If you don't have any other methods and can't figure out the modifying the screw thing, it's one of the best options.

Yeah, but it still gets tedious after a while. I can't afford a gamebit, but if I had the money I'd buy the Zoozen Access kit. It has both gamebits, tri-wings, and a bunch of torx drivers and a thing for opening 360s. Basically, if it's a console and it exists, that kit can open it.

Basement_Modder said:
this is the best gamebit to have. I bought this set a few months back. They're strong as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, cheap, and made n USA. (at least partially.)
Yeah, I have those, except mine cost $8 and came with a Phillips screw driver. They're great!

Back