HD Video Cameras

ToastBucket

tost
I'm starting to get into film and my friend and I are looking into buying a relatively high end video camera. We've been making movies for a while, but we want something a bit more than 1280x720 from a little camera. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with researching/picking out a camera. So far, I've been interested in the Sony HDR-FX1.

Yeah, for $1500 you aren't going to be able to afford a prosumer camcorder. I don't think so anyway. If you can swing $2000, the Canon XA10 is kind of cool. It's a standard flash memory HD camcorder with above average controls, except it has a detachable handle with mic inputs and such. The HF S series is a little better than other consumer camcorders if Canon's description is to believed. I know Panasonic builds a decently priced 3D camcorder, but it's not really worth it unless you want 3D.

Hmmmm. The XA10 seems to be a bit expensive, but that's probably what I'm going to end up going with. Thanks! I'll look for some deals on the XA10.

$2000 is seeming a bit out of reach, so I'm looking back at the HDR FX1. I know the HDR FX1000 is capable of recording to a CF card using an adapter, and I think/hope the FX1 can too as I don't really like recording to tape. There are a few things about the FX1 that bother me, like the lack of XLR, and recording to SD/CF, but its a relatively old camera and I feel like it suits my needs best for the price I'm willing to pay.

As far as I can tell, it only takes miniDV tapes. Try something else, I have a camcorder that uses those and it is a right *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing pain in the ass.

Although they're not 'video cameras', the EOS 7D and the 5D Mark II are definitely good options for film. the mark II is pretty much the ultimate mid range camera for both video and photography. It's more expensive than the XA10, which is out of your budget, but idk.
The 'downgrade', I suppose is the 7D at $1700, which is noticeably not as good but noticeably better than many other cameras and camcorders in the same price range.

also, although they are sports-centric and lack a display (there is an attachable display, attachable larger battery and 2-cameras-in-one-housing for 3d if you need) and some of the 'bells and whistles', the cameras at http://gopro.com/ are amazingly cheap and very good quality, in fact, you could buy quite a few of them for multiple angles and such.

Seriously, they're 250 each.

Antome said:
Although they're not 'video cameras', the EOS 7D and the 5D Mark II are definitely good options for film. the mark II is pretty much the ultimate mid range camera for both video and photography. It's more expensive than the XA10, which is out of your budget, but idk.
The 'downgrade', I suppose is the 7D at $1700, which is noticeably not as good but noticeably better than many other cameras and camcorders in the same price range.

also, although they are sports-centric and lack a display (there is an attachable display, attachable larger battery and 2-cameras-in-one-housing for 3d if you need) and some of the 'bells and whistles', the cameras at http://gopro.com/ are amazingly cheap and very good quality, in fact, you could buy quite a few of them for multiple angles and such.

Seriously, they're 250 each.

I've got one of those gopro cameras. In fact, I used it in my last video. But its just not what I'm looking for.

A camera has been purchased. I decided to go even lower and get the HDR-CX700V. I spent about $1200 on it and a couple Class X SDHC cards.

Back