Hand-crank ride?

Yoshilime M.R.

Master of Limes
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a 4 wheeled device that is powered by pulling back and forth on a long metel pole to propel ones self. If so, does anyone know what things would be involved in making it, and what it would basically look like, or a schematic or sorts?

so do you mean oull and push the pole, or just pull?
You could make something similar to a rowing machine if it was just pull, pull and push I'd imagine it would me some kind of crank/rotating mechanism incorporated in a bike styled mechanism.

also, what is this for?

Its just for fun, and the fun of building.

And yes, just pull, then it will go back by it self, then i would pull, repeat etc. So a rowing machine huh? Any schematics of that?

Double post, LOL

No, i dont want to crank a ride by peddling with my hands. I want to pull a pole back, let it go forward by itself, let me crank it back again etc to propel myself.

Thanks, but not what im looking for.

Well, this isn't 4-wheeled, but this seems like the most practical rowing bike i've seen.

http://www.sculltrek.sk/

Personally, I can't quite make out the mechanism. Having said that, I've only been on the website for a couple of minutes. It wouldn't be hard' really.

This reminds me of that thing they had on railroads where one person pushes down, and the other pulls up, and you do that a bunch of times and you move along the track.

IRISH MAIL

That is what they are called. I went through this set of books I have with tons of stories about old people's childhoods, I knew I had seen a picture of something just like you described.

They appear to be pretty obscure on the internets.

No, no, they can be very simple!

I mean, check this out:
Irish-Mail-White.gif

And there are some really nice ones made with bicycle wheels, too.

I was thinking that too, but the link I posted looked as though the guy was traveling kinda fast. :stare:

I see, very interesting. I dont have very much experience building though, let alone anything bike related. Looks like a project for the future.

Back