Grape64 FINISHED Pictures and Video on page 4

Re: Grape64 worklog

bentomo said:
I think you just huff win before all of your projects.

:mrgreen: This means a lot coming from you!

No more progress to report as of right now, but I'll take a few pictures of my trimmed N64 mobo tonight.

Random question, has anyone used the 3.3v regulator from dimension engineering before? I've tested it out and confirmed that it works, but it gets fairly hot. I plan on heat sinking it, but I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this regulator...

pkmnjunky7 said:
bentomo said:
I think you just huff win before all of your projects.

:mrgreen: This means a lot coming from you!
You deserve it, it's difficult enough to make a portable, but to make one that looks good that doesn't need to be painted, that's another level.

I just found out that my only class tomorrow is cancelled. I may get this thing done over the weekend if I work fast. :D

100_2934.jpg

Mario Pary 2!!

100_2933.jpg

Cartridge slot relocation working and running off batteries.

100_2932.jpg

100_2929.jpg

N64 logo sticker I got for christmas. Fits perfectly on the cartridge cover.

100_2924.jpg

I used blue wire for one row of pins and red for the other to help keep things less confusing.

Basically right now I'm just waiting for my PTH0808was to arrive in the mail. The n64 stopped working while I was testing it, and after a few mins of troubleshooting I discovered I wasn't getting 3.3v from my voltage regulator. I tested the n64 again with the original power supply and verified everything still works.

Not a major update, but kind of neat. Today I was thinking about my headphone jack and such and thought to myself "Man, automatic headphone detection would be pretty awesome...", so I did a little bit of brainstorming and came up with something pretty cool. What I was wanting specifically was for the speakers to automatically cut off when headphones were plugged in. I know this is possible, but I really don't know how most people usually do it.

Here's what I did.

Here's my headphone jack
100_2939.jpg

Here's a small switch from radioshack. It has 3 pins, common, normally open, and normally closed.
100_2941.jpg

I was able to grind a little bit of the plastic off of the end of my headphone jack so that the tip of the headphone plug would poke out a little further on the end than normal. After that I Proceeded to glue my headphone jack to the switch mentioned earlier so that when headphones are plugged in it triggers the switch.
100_2944.jpg

100_2945.jpg

(The Transformers thing is my homemade continuity tester. Eyes light up to show continuity.)

What this does: I am using mono audio and running the negative line from my speakers to the switch mounted to the headphone jack, so that when I plug in headphones it disconnects my speakers. Also, I have my headphone jack wired to my audio amp so that the volume - + controls will work for headphones as well.

I have tested all of this and confirmed that it works properly. :D

PS: I got my sample from TI today! I should be able to finish this soon. All I need now is a new multimeter (My crap one from Radio shack died... (what a suprise!)

XCVG said:
You know you can get headphone jacks with switches, right?

Yes, but I don't currently have any... My radio shack has none and I don't want to wait for one in the mail...

Yeah, you could have used a switchable headphone jack, but I think your way is way cooler. I'm surprised that it works as well as it does. I'm pretty sure if I had done that, I would have failed terribly.

Back