Getting my feet wet?

poko5

Firstly I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong section! Well I recently came across this forum and really like seeing the ideas you people come up with. I would like to build my own Gc portable as a summer project while I have plenty of time to waste, but I have absolutely no idea where to start! All the terms that people use go over my head. So suggestions on how to start understanding and being a step closer to actually achieving this goal would be appreciated! Thank you.

ProgMetalMan said:
Read Kasar's guide (link) and tell me if you have any specific questions.
Thanks for that link! Well what would be the recommended gauge of wire to use? What's the best screen to use? I thought hot glue was bad to use with circuits? Where can I buy all these parts in the UK? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Today most people use TFT car monitors from eBay. They are available in a variety of sizes, including 3.5" and 4.2". Just look up tft lcd and the size you want.
Hot glue is good for temporary mounting, however for long term construction (due to heat) people will put on super glue or epoxy or something.
For all the info you need, check out each section and its megasticky.
Also, sorry about that formatting screw-up.

poko5 said:
ProgMetalMan said:
and tell me if you have any specific questions.
Thanks for that link! Well what would be the recommended gauge of wire to use? What's the best screen to use? I thought hot glue was bad to use with circuits? Where can I buy all these parts in the UK? Sorry to bombard you with questions![/quote]

If you're British, try Maplin.

Those buttons are probably "clicky" as they call it.
That screen will work; bear in mind it lacks sound.
I'm not sure about the wire though.

I have two small laptop speakers, they should work. Anyone here who could recommend the best place to buy electronics in the uk?

Back