Genesis 3 Portable Worklog - Progress starts on page 5.

The only problem with replacing an analog stick with a d-pad is that it is no longer analog. In that respect PSP sliders are better.

I don't think it would matter to me. As long as it allows movement, I think it would only make a difference in shooting games. Or ones that require very precise analog movement. Hm... I may have an idea brewing about that.

I also have decided to ABS cement in the old screen bezel, so that the screen doesn't have any of the metal trim showing. I've also cemented in a new d-pad. I'm sure my choice of d-pad is going to infuriate just about everybody, but I like it. I'll post pics when it dries.

It better not be a playstation dpad. :ffffuuuuu:

And you seem to forget something: Yes, analog speed control is often not important. But what about direction? Analogs allow for a nearly infinite number of diagonal angles. Ever played SM64DS using the dpad? Compare to the N64 version with a real analog stick, far, far superior.

I don't like the Playstation d-pad. In actual use it works just as well, but it just doesn't feel right. It feels like something is missing, although it's kind of hard to describe.

PalmerTech said:
It better not be a playstation dpad. :ffffuuuuu:

And you seem to forget something: Yes, analog speed control is often not important. But what about direction? Analogs allow for a nearly infinite number of diagonal angles. Ever played SM64DS using the dpad? Compare to the N64 version with a real analog stick, far, far superior.

Yeah, it's Heck. At least the camera controls are better. Touch screen control? Oh wow, that's crap. Really poorly designed, as the direction Mario goes in doesn't seem to be relative to the world or the map.

Twilight Wolf said:
There's nothing wrong with the PlayStation d-pad. ?_?
this. i have absolutely no problem with it. in fact, i prefer playstation style to nintendo style. (and xbox/genesis style isnt even on the scale, since its so awful) :dahroll:

To each their own I guess. My favorite type of dpad is the full-circle Genesis kind. It's about the only good thing about that piece of flax, though.

Let my 1000th post be in dedication to this portable! Come June, I'll have been working on this portable for a whole year.

You guys guessed that pretty easily. I know the ps1 d-pad is the most hated, but I have to agree with Twilight Wolf that I have no problems with it at all. I have large hands, so that's not a big surprise. Anyway, here's my controls.

f2194fcc.jpg

I decided to omit the X, Y and Z buttons. They're only needed for a few games, and this case is getting pretty cramped. I'm going to need to do some serious rewiring this weekend. I've sanded the screen bezel that I cemented in. I'm really hoping that I have no problems with Krylon bonding with it.

1f5c8ea0.jpg

Not sure why, but nearly any side profile picture makes it look thicker than it really is. It's an inch and half thick, but I looks bigger to me.

I have manly hands; using a ps1 d-pad gives me no problems whatsoever. What's funny is I've never really played more than two games on the Genesis, but working with it like this is making me love it.

same with most of my retro consoles.
I totally love the feel of the ps1 dpad, nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Especially on a fresh pad, the dpad on the original console is totally nice to press. My ps3 controller has a completely different feel to it which is just as good, but you don't get the nice click.

I don't like the PS d-pad. The motion, responsiveness and stuff is all fine, but it just doesn't feel right. Sorta like something's missing, but not really.

Also, I've been working on YAP64 longer than you have on this. Let's see, I started last April, had a really long hiatus, restarted with fresh (read: bad) ideas in August, then restarted closer to the original plan in January.

Probably should update this, as it's been a while. This project is no longer on hold. I will abandon it. I will probably still make a Gennyp, but not with this case. It's not impossible, but my skills hold me back a bit. And because of the cramped case, the only way to secure parts is with hot glue. I don't want to build a portable that might fall apart because of that. Not to mention, I never even liked the Genesis anyway, lol.

Sorry for any readers that thought this rocked or anything, I thought it was gonna be awesome, too. I need to stop cutting motherboards, trying cramped cases and such. I've been in this hobby for a whole year and a half, and have probably invested over $1000 into it, with nothing to show. It's time for me to make a few easy portables, and then start this kind of stuff.

Kidding about that, man. I never played the Genesis much, but I liked the games that I got to play. I'm just so Dang frustrated with it that I want to let it be for now. Like I said, I'm still making a Gennyp in the future, just not now. I just need to take a long break. I've been frying way too many electronics.

Back