Genesis 3 Portable Worklog - Progress starts on page 5.

Re: Genesis 3 Portable Worklog

hailrazer said:
Basement_Modder said:
I have one issue-I can't find a Dang hori minipad! I was planning on abs-cementing the front of the case in one piece to the front and putting the board under it like normal. Seemed simple enough, but I cannot for the life of me find a hori minipad! D:

Yep they are almost impossible to find now.
If you come accross one, could you let me know?

zeturi said:
Meh, it's doable, but not worth it for the cart slot problem. If it weren't for the analog sticks and the heat sinks, you would be able to fit batteries inside as well. We can always dream, but considering most of us can't even solder to the chips in the first place, what's the point?

Use a copper sheet heatsink.

Put the cart slot in the top portion of the case behind the screen.

Use retrocon ps2 joysticks or a ps2 nub.

I bet it could be done.

You can use the one from the genesis, actually, but I don't really know how to desolder components. So I rip the old one out, and a bunch of the pins get pulled out of the cartridge slot. So to make things easier, I just rip off the connector and order a game genie. It's very easy to desolder a game genie cartridge.

Also, welcome! Glad to have you here.

Get one of these! (Image stolen from QuickSkope's SNES thread)

img0017q.jpg

Makes it super simple to do!

Thanks, Yeah I just started getting interested into this whole portable thing, I have never soldered anything in my life my brother always did the soldering for me, I always paint my video game systems and stuff, my brother would mod them though, I have an old genesis 3 laying around I took apart yesterday I am going to attempt to make it portable so I am really interested in people that are also using the 3rd version ones.

Is there any good guides describing how to desolder the cart slot?

Buy one of those $11 radioshack "desoldering irons" that look like that one pictured above, then take the hot iron, squeeze the red bulb thing, put the opening in the tip on top of a solder blob, and when it heats up, let go of the bulb. It will suck up the solder. Now squeeze the bulb again to blow the solder out onto a wet sponge or paper towel or something. Repeat for each pin on the cart slot.

To relocate it, simply put a small solder blob on each spot on the motherboard where the cart slot used to be, and the same on each cart slot pin, then tin and attatch wires between each pin/ mobo spot. Try to use small flexible wire such as ribbon cable to make it more organized and easier to position.

Hope this helps.

I just got my batteries in the mail. They're two of those flat lipos from hailrazer's tutorial. They just barely fit! The entire back piece is fill by the batteries, and the protection circuit. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit a power jack, but I'll think of something. ;)

Waiting for my LCD to arrive from China, as well as some squishy tacts. I also need to get another six button controller for the fresh buttons. Once I have those, I'll be re-cutting the holes out for the system. A tiny bit of bondo touch up, some sanding and a few coats of paint, and I will be done. Of course that probably won't be happening for another few months though, but meh... having a job really slows things down. I need to call in sick so I can get some work done.

Now I unveil my what I was truly working on!
c14ce8d9.jpg

Just kidding. I got the LCD mounted in the front of the case though, and you can see how much a 3.5 inch screen fills it. I'm thinking of printing out some kind of decal to put over the metal shielding of the LCD. It's not very clean looking.

I have the batteries already installed in the back of the case, as seen here. Though it isn't noticeable here, the screw posts are hugging against the sides of the battery very tightly.
84d2a7b7.jpg

What's left to finish: lay out the audio amp and buttons onto a pcb, and finish all cuts in the case. Then a nice few days of sanding, bondoing, sanding, painting, sanding, etc. I also need to make a back plate for my portable to cover the other half of the back, where the cartridge will slide down. After that will be troubleshooting and installation into the case.

I'm definitely taking it slow, I believe I've borked three genesis 3's now. The first one I fried, the second one I took out all the caps and can't figure out which ones go where. The third one... your guess is as good as mine. But I know a chopped down genesis 3 will work fine, I just need to be extra careful.

EDIT: Crap, need to resize my pics. :oops:
EDIT2: Ah, that's better. :mrgreen:

I don't care, just link those pics! show usssss!!!
edit
Dang your edit.
also, why can't you find out where the caps went by looking at your other 2 genesis 3's?

is that a shoop? or did you just wire composite from an xbox? also, is you genesis rcp wired? or wired to the resistors?

I hooked up an xbox with composite, and I thought it looked pretty good. I think a WVI could be done using one. Not sure on how text would be though, I only booted it up and then shut it down. If you'd like, I take a pic of it during gameplay.

I didn't have to rcp wire it, but almost. I cut it right next to the cart slot pin holes, and I bypassed the resistors (caps maybe?) that are past the controller ports.

@ Mako :hit: I didn't think about that, actually. The very first one I borked was fried, but should have all of it's caps in place. The other two don't, though. I'll be looking into it.

zeturi said:
I didn't have to rcp wire it, but almost. I cut it right next to the cart slot pin holes, and I bypassed the resistors (caps maybe?) that are past the controller ports.
you wouldnt perchance have a pinout of the controller wiring, would you? i seem to have lost the diagram i made. :gonk: also, it would be kinda cool to see what that little puppy looks like with an xbox game on screen. :awesome:

I'm working on the case till I get bored with it, 'cause it's actually a bit fun when you have proper tools. Since my buttons are too tall, I need to shave them down. If I do that. I still need to keep them from rotating in the case or falling out. Right now I've got a button super glued to the end of a rubber tact switch. When it dries, I wanna see how it holds up.

themadhacker said:
well, you could always use psp alalog sticks, to save space, but most people do not like those.

Actually, this got me thinking. I read something a while ago about replacing analog sticks with a d-pad. If that could be done, you could really cut down on the thickness. You could possibly, MAYBE fit one 3.7v lipo with a step up regulator. It would still have to be a hori mini pad (or a really anorexically cut controller), but other than that it could be doable. The cart slot would be located at the very top, just above the screen, and games would just stick straight out the top, sort of how hail's kamikaze64 turned out.

Back