GCPC

I've started to mod a little again :D
Yay for me

I decided to make myself a Gamecube PC that will be used as a media computer in my new apartment.

This one didn't take very long to complete and is a pretty simple project.
Most of the time I waited for parts to arrive.

Nano ITX motherboard with 1.6 GHz AMD dual core, HD 6310 graphics
4 GB RAM
160 GB HDD
Laptop Blu-ray slot drive

20120409_001-1.jpg

I tried to make it look as close to the original as possible.
The disc slot is placed where the two halves of the case meets and it didn't require that much modification for it to work.

20120409_005.jpg

20120409_003-1.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how the backplate turned out.
Took me a whole day to file it out though

20120409_009.jpg

20120409_012.jpg

The stock fan is now replaced with a Gamecube case fan, much quieter :)

20120409_013.jpg

I'll probably add a couple of USB connectors under the disc lid and some other stuff, but it's in working condition :)
I know there's a few of these around, but those Nano ITX boards really do scream "put me in a Gamceube case!!!" :lol:

EDIT: And enjoy the chickens :mrgreen:

Awesome! Neat idea. What kind of things can you do with this PC? I'm not too savy with computer specs. What level of gaming could it handle?

Tchay said:
Awesome! Neat idea. What kind of things can you do with this PC? I'm not too savy with computer specs. What level of gaming could it handle?
Thanks!

Well, it's not a monster :p But it manages 1080p video playback and should work with Blu-rays as well.
That's what I had in mind when I started
But some older games do work.
Got COD2 to run pretty fluently on medium/low and N64 emulators and downwards are working fine :)

Awesome. That board is very familiar to me. I had one identical to it. Its awesome. And it should be able to play most games up to about 2009. I was running mine with and SSD, but it worked pretty Dang well. Great looking mod!

Wow, this is actually really awesome. Loving the way slot loading drive looks.

Thank you! :D

samjc3 said:
Awesome. That board is very familiar to me. I had one identical to it. Its awesome. And it should be able to play most games up to about 2009. I was running mine with and SSD, but it worked pretty Dang well. Great looking mod!
It was actually when following your thread I found out about these.
I've had this idea in the back of my head since then and finally decided to go for it.
Good to hear that it's somewhat gaming capable :)

zeturi said:
Looks sexy. And the original power supply is powerful enough for it?
So far I haven't had any trouble with it.
As the Cube is rated at 39W (I believe) and this board at 18W without peripherals I should be in the clear

Verynice. I am somewhat tempted to do something similar with my Raspberry Pi when it comes in. But at the same time I also like the idea I currently have for it.

Pretty awesome mod Abb, glad to see you're still around! Now dig out that GCi and finish it! ;)

Slick build. I was planning on doing the same thing a few years back, but with the disc drive being top loading. Unfortunately, my board was slow (VIA Nano CPU) and there weren't any faster options available, so I gave up. Might have to look into building one in the next while, now that there are some decent boards that'll fit.

Hermaphroditus said:
Verynice. I am somewhat tempted to do something similar with my Raspberry Pi when it comes in. But at the same time I also like the idea I currently have for it.
Yeah, those sound pretty interesting indeed
Just put it in a matchbox :p

Ashen said:
Pretty awesome mod Abb, glad to see you're still around! Now dig out that GCi and finish it! ;)
okay.jpg

That Dang GCi, staring at me every time I sit at my desk :/
Maybe I'll gather the strength to complete it this summer holiday

I've been lurking here from time to time, mostly admiring the GCP scene.
New hobbies have kept me occupied.

vskid3 said:
Slick build. I was planning on doing the same thing a few years back, but with the disc drive being top loading. Unfortunately, my board was slow (VIA Nano CPU) and there weren't any faster options available, so I gave up. Might have to look into building one in the next while, now that there are some decent boards that'll fit.
I was also thinking of a top loading one, but I couldn't find a case that support full sized discs for a reasonable price.
This will have to do ^^

This's really cool. Very well made. And to separate it from other consoles turned into pcs this one is wayyy smaller.

I want to build a similar project. Where did you buy your nano itx motherboard from. I've got some time on my hands this summer and it would be awesome to build a tiny pc into a ps2 slim if I could fit it. If not maybe a pico itx would work. Just throwing around some ideas before I commit some money.

Hello, first time poster here :)

I'm currently looking at doing a similar build.

My only question is that going off of the pictures you've uploaded, it appears that you have connected the controller/front panel of the GameCube to the motherboard, could you explain how you have done this (or point me to somewhere), and do all 4 controller ports work when this is done?

I've been building PC's for years, but this will be my first mod project. It all started when i was given a gigabyte brix a few weeks back and thought this would be a fun little project for myself.

Back