GC: what is the normal resistance between 1.9V and ground?

My gamecube is acting weird, so I did some testing and found out the resistance between the 1.9V pins and ground only were 30 and 180 ohms.
This seems weird, considering the rest of the voltage pins have a lot more.

If anyone has a working gamecube motherboard where they can test the resistance for each line, it would be great!

Thanks!

Re: GC: what is the normal resistance between 1.9V and groun

Abb_eliten said:
My gamecube is acting weird, so I did some testing and found out the resistance between the 1.9V pins and ground only were 30 and 180 ohms.

If anyone has a working gamecube motherboard where they can test the resistance for each line, it would be great!

Thanks!

From what Zenloc and I have done, those resistors seem pretty unnecessary. I believe they are just filtering out the voltage (I'm no electrical engineer). But I slice that whole area off and never have issues.

um...Daftmike???

Tchay said:
Abb_eliten said:

Thanks!

From what Zenloc and I have done, those resistors seem pretty unnecessary. I believe they are just filtering out the voltage (I'm no electrical engineer). But I slice that whole area off and never have issues.

um...Daftmike???

I don't think it has something to do with those caps/resistors.

The motherboard is untrimmed, and when I start it up, all the voltages seem fine, but after a couple of seconds, the regulator board or the power supply stops providing power.
I figured it has to do with a short or something, and the protection of the power supply shuts it off.

So I tested all of the mb's voltage lines to see if any of them bridges.
I became suspicious when the resistance between the 2 "raw" 1.9 power lines and ground only was 30 and 180 ohms.
Maybe 180 is fine, but 30 seems too low. Just guessing here...

Modified Zenloc's image:

I actually just cut of the whole power pin part to test, but I still get the same values...

Do you think you could test your 1.9 lines and see they have the same values?

I'm not sure there is really a "normal resistance" for a specific part of the board. I'm pretty sure it all depends on how and where the part of the board circuit being tested is run and is run to.... if that makes sense.

The original gamecube regulator has a built in thermal protection circuit. if the pins that control this function are bridged or wired incorrect the regulator may be shutting your GC down. I've marked the thermal pins in blue in the pic below. It's something to check anyway.

GCPowerWiring.png

You're probably right about that.

I just thought it was a little weird when the other values were at least a couple of hundred.

I'll wire it up again and test. Hopefully it was just the thermal pin.

Thanks guys!

edit: it's working now. Bad regulator board :)

In that above picture, it shows thermal protection circuit, does that mean that the protection circuit is inside of the regulator board? Will it be deactivated if I use a custom regulator? If I use insufficient heatsinks, will this shut off the gamecube before it can break?

Yes, the thermal protection curcuit is built into the original regulator and will shut down your cube if it gets to toasty. If you use a custom reg you will loose this function. Nothing to worry about if your cube is properly cooled though.

Ashen said:
Yes, the thermal protection curcuit is built into the original regulator and will shut down your cube if it gets to toasty. If you use a custom reg you will loose this function. Nothing to worry about if your cube is properly cooled though.

You can also make your own thermal protection circuit. Fairly small if I'm not mistaken. Its something I am planning to research and hopefully implement.

Sidenote, would those electric cooling pads help with the gamecube chips? Like the one Benheck used on his TV show to cool a can of pepsi? when wired up, the pad sucks out the heat and to whatever heatsink is attached to it.

I think those peltier things suck a Heck of alot of electricity plus you still need a heatsink on the peltier to dissipate the heat that it creates. I think they also get so cold you'd have to worry about condensation too. I imagine someone has thought of this before, if it would have worked they would be in laptops and stuff I'm sure.

Dont think about peltier, lots of power draw and big heatsink to cool off the heat thats pumped from one side to the other, also lots of condensation is created, not a good way to go....better of with huge homemade heatsink and smallish 20mm fan...

Back