GBA SP Motherboard Wiring Diagram

Muffin

Hey I'm new here and I am looking for some information. I am attempting to fit a SP into a TI-83 and I am planning on using the buttons on the calculator to work the game. So to do that I need to know where the main buttons (D-PAD, A,B,Select,Start) have terminals that I can solder to, or something of that sort. Also, how would you recommend soldering to the terminals? They are pretty small and I'd rather not ruin the board right off the bat (at all really). Thanks for your help!

Well it looks as if i have solved my own problem! I found out where each of the buttons were. (Good ol' guess and check)
So I will post photos here so others don't have to guess!
However I am still curious as to how to solder it to the board. That seems like a really tricky thing to do without getting the solder to touch. Any tips? Thanks!

img0693ja.jpg

img0691kn.jpg

img0689pl.jpg

Use flux from what i've heard. Also the D-Pad would be on the opposite side if its in a calculator so remember that will be annoying

I suppose using flux will keep wire in place without making a connection to something else? Yea, but I figure that it wont be that big of a deal. Now I am having trouble deciding what the rest of the buttons will be.

ive seen people use 2nd and alpha for A and B respectively. If you want to go all out...Have on button be the on button for the gameboy (Somehow sending a momentary signal) have enter be select and start would be something else.

Or to make it easy use the top row of buttons near the screen part for on, lb, rb, start and select
And have 2nd and alpha be A and B

I will probably make Y= the LB, Graph the RB, Window the Select, and Trace the start button. Because the SP requires a constant power signal I don't want to try and rig something that turns a momentary signal to a constant. The 2nd and Alpha sound like good A and B, because they are right there next to one another and on the same lateral as the D-pad.

Does anyone know if the Gameboy SP buttons work the same as the buttons in the NES or SNES controller?

Does it use a shift register?

It would be easier to tap into the CLOCK, LATCH, DATA OUT run three wires out and replicate the controllers externally using a shift register chip on a breadboard (with external +5v) rather than running multiple wires from each button?

Back