GAMECUBE COOLING INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fins are 6mm, whole heatsink is 9mm, fan sits barely 1.6mm higher than the heatsink, but only because I was lazy and decided against cutting the grooves into the heatsink.

SS

THINKPAD HEATSINK (approximately 8.73125mm thick)

Testing during Zelda: Twilight Princess gameplay. Note, the motherboard is OMGWTF trimmed. I tested this inside of my Gamecube Envision. The mobo is screwed into the case and I am using Arctic Silver 5 on all the chips.

Thinkpad heatsink (using 3.43v for fan)
131ºF - motherboard temperature (backside of CPU - Gekko)

Thinkpad heatsink (using 5v for fan)
126ºF - motherboard temperature (backside of CPU - Gekko)

Thinkpad heatsink (using 7.4v for fan)
120ºF - motherboard temperature (backside of CPU - Gekko)

:mrgreen:

Translated for people that don't use retarded imperial units.

Tchay said:
Thinkpad heatsink (using 3.43v for fan)
55ºC - motherboard temperature (backside of GPU)

Thinkpad heatsink (using 5v for fan)
52ºC - motherboard temperature (backside of GPU)

Thinkpad heatsink (using 7.4v for fan)
49ºC - motherboard temperature (backside of GPU)

Yes, yes, I realize the topic is old. But I don't think this is against the rules. Is it?

I need to ask how the shutdown system works for temperature sensing. When it gets too hot, there is a signal sent out through the thermal detection output on the regulator socket, above the 12v pin, right? And it tells the stock regulator to shut down? If so, what kind of signal is sent from that pin?

103ºC does seem mighty generous for a shutoff temperature - particularly when you consider we're going to be holding the device in our hands.

It's good to see virtually any heatsink/fan combo keeps the temperature below 60ºC.

Blargaman91 said:
Yes, yes, I realize the topic is old. But I don't think this is against the rules. Is it?

I need to ask how the shutdown system works for temperature sensing. When it gets too hot, there is a signal sent out through the thermal detection output on the regulator socket, above the 12v pin, right? And it tells the stock regulator to shut down? If so, what kind of signal is sent from that pin?
I don't see why not - this information is still current and I'm sure discussion is welcomed.

Are you thinking of disabling the shutdown of the gamecube? Perhaps implementing a warning system? Or even changing the temperature at which it shuts down?

I'm thinking that since my cooling system will probably not be the most efficient, and I'm using custom regulators now, I might utilize the built-in thermal detection. If that pin happens to output a ground signal at the peak temperature, I could just connect it directly to my regulators' inhibit line. That would shut them down at the right time, or at least it should.

Blargaman91 said:
I'm thinking that since my cooling system will probably not be the most efficient, and I'm using custom regulators now, I might utilize the built-in thermal detection. If that pin happens to output a ground signal at the peak temperature, I could just connect it directly to my regulators' inhibit line. That would shut them down at the right time, or at least it should.
I have no idea if what you're proposing is true, but that sounds like an interesting idea. If connecting the thermal protection pin to the custom regulator will work, I'd definitely be interested in doing so as well.

Hm, I may have to do some testing then. No damage is done to the cube if it does shut down after getting too hot, right?

Blargaman91 said:
Hm, I may have to do some testing then. No damage is done to the cube if it does shut down after getting too hot, right?

I'm going to go ahead and assume the shut off temperature is before any real damage is done - after all, thats why it shuts down... to prevent potential damage.

Blargaman91 said:
Okay, good, then. Tahnks.

Ok, I've (rather unsuccessfully) carried out some further research in order to find something a bit more concrete... 270ºF (chip temperature) sounded a little high to me but I think that's just the temperature Nintendo decided upon in order to shut down the cube before it sets on fire. :lol:

The chips (Gekko and Flipper) seem pretty robust and whilst they'll probably survive your temperature tests, their lifespan may be shortened. I'd also avoid rapid heating/cooling during your tests.

This was quite interesting to flick through (600+ pages :eek:): http://raidenii.net/files/datasheets/cpu/ppc_gekko.pdf
I daresay that is the user manual Nintendo received from IBM :lol:

If I were you, I'd just ensure your portable has an effective cooling system rather than faff about with the thermal sensor. For a handheld, 270ºF chip temperature and 217ºF mobo temperature just seems dangerous. Particularly if you add batteries into the mix! Most batteries have a maximum safe operating temperature of 70ºC/160ºF (?) :confused:

Yeah, I guess I would notice pretty early if my system was too hot without the need for thermal shutdown. I'm one to always cram as many features into my creations as possible.

Back