Gamecube Advance SP

Zeflis

I have a worklog of this on Benheck as well, and I'm not going to transfer over ALL the pictures so if you want to see all t he pictures I ever took of this thing the link is in my sig.

So i came up with this name, with the help of my brother, because of the system's shape and resemblance to the Gameboy Advance SP; the Gameboy Advance SP

Parts/features:
-rev C motherboard
-frankencased portable DVD player case
-PsOne screen, not LED modded as of yet
-PSP joysticks to replace analog and C-stick
-original disc drive with flip open lid
-external battery pack(can attach to bottom of system)
-wall power
-headphone jack
-A/V out
-1st and 2nd player controller ports w/ switch between 1st player and internal controller
-original memory card slot A, but no slot B
-2 fans for more efficient cooling
-heatshielding on main mobo

This is the case when it started out. It has since been extended about 2cm. The screen part of the system flips up and the system is actually very comfortable to hold as it fits very nicely in my hands.
IMG_0635.jpg

Open: This is how it got its name
IMG_0633.jpg

disc drive before insertion:
FanMount.jpg

inside of the case w/o electronics:
FanMount.jpg

triggers on bottom:
FanMount2.jpg

all electronics in the case:
Septupdate2.jpg

inside again; you can see the controller ports here as well as the memcard:
SeptUpdate3.jpg

I do have a question though. What do I need to relocate in order to cut here:
IMG_0553.jpg

Don't need to relocate anything for that cut. If you cut too close and cut through a tiny trace near that chip, simply follow its path and reconnect it with a small wire.

I didn't know if you needed two wires on that trace because there are two solder-pads on one end of it.

Thanks

haha thanks. I plan to have it done around the end of October or early November :) And it will also be for sale after that

Keep in mind that that's a Rev-C DOL 101 mobo, so all of Ashen's cutting guides cannot be applied to that board. As for that trace, it looks like a power trace. All I can say is that if the mobo dies after the cut, relocate it! :D

SonyQrio said:
Keep in mind that that's a Rev-C DOL 101 mobo, so all of Ashen's cutting guides cannot be applied to that board. As for that trace, it looks like a power trace. All I can say is that if the mobo dies after the cut, relocate it! :D

No its not a power trace. Those traces are completely useless. BUT the tiny trace that is within a millimeter of the chip is important. It can be relocated if cut, however.

BTW, didn't you say you'd be leaving for a while??? What happened thar?

I don't remember saying that :S I did however leave for a while between February and about June of this year. I just decided to focus on other things for the time and put this on hold, but it's back up and running :)

It actually is working though. The screen isn't fully hooked up yet so I don't know if that part works but the disc drive spins, light is on and makes a little beeping noise to confirm that it's reading it :p I also got my new batteries in the mail today and they fit wonderfully :D They are 11.1v 5200mah li-po battery packs I got from ebay. I'll post pictures when I have other updates as well. Oh and the second battery is just a spare to take around when traveling in case I run out of life, and they will attach by mean of high-current connectors and probably velcro straps to hold them on

Zeflis said:
I don't remember saying that :S I did however leave for a while between February and about June of this year. I just decided to focus on other things for the time and put this on hold, but it's back up and running :)

It actually is working though. The screen isn't fully hooked up yet so I don't know if that part works but the disc drive spins, light is on and makes a little beeping noise to confirm that it's reading it :p I also got my new batteries in the mail today and they fit wonderfully :D They are 11.1v 5200mah li-po battery packs I got from ebay. I'll post pictures when I have other updates as well. Oh and the second battery is just a spare to take around when traveling in case I run out of life, and they will attach by mean of high-current connectors and probably velcro straps to hold them on

That post was directed at Sonyqrio. Hence the quote, ;)

Good luck with the portable. Sounds like you're making some solid progress. :)

Oh haha, I didn't see that that was a quote. I just read it quick and moved on :p

I'm undecided whether i'd prefer PSP analogs or a tapwave analog stick. If I use the PSP's then I would replace the C-stick as well for the sake of continuity. And I already ordered 3 PSP sticks that should be arriving very soon :)

Do you think it's worth it to have an analog stick with travel that would feel more like the Gc's?

Honestly, I'd go with the PSP analogs. Reason being, it's a flip open. You need to have short analog sticks for it to close all the way.

Here is the update of pictures:D

The screen with the speakers installed. Also you can see the spots I cut out so the buttons fit in
screenw-speakers.jpg

PSP joystick
PSPstick.jpg

Power Switch
Powerswitch.jpg

The battery cover. It can slide in and out very easily. You can also see the high current connectors
batterycover2.jpg

Another of the battery cover
batterycover.jpg

Oh god, please don't leave exposed wires like that. Make a cover that attaches with velcro or magnets. Everyone loves magnets.

As far as battery connections go, I don't have to many options. There will probably be at least some exposed wires just because of the fact that my battery pack is removable. But I will do my best to hide them :) They aren't in their final positions right now anyway.

And thanks! I thought it would be a good idea to help direct the airflow through the heat sink instead of it going out the top of it. I will also add another fan to help direct to air to the heat sink

Back