Gameboy Color Frontlight Mod.

Gameboy-color-light-mod-10.jpg

a little bit later, after opening the bottom half as well:

"in the modding world spare parts are always welcome!"

:stare:

Also, I recommend painter's tape over electrical tape as electrical tape can leave a residue. Also, the final comparison pic would've been better if you had used the same game, seeing as how Crystal has a black background whereas gold has a light blue one.

SS

" Also, the final comparison pic would've been better if you had used the same game, seeing as how Crystal has a black background whereas gold has a light blue one."

How many people do you know who purchase two copies of the same game?

Little-Duckie said:
" Also, the final comparison pic would've been better if you had used the same game, seeing as how Crystal has a black background whereas gold has a light blue one."

Uh, take two pictures? Nah, that'd be too hard.

Little-Duckie said:

I have multiples of Gold, Red, Blue...pokemon games are notoriously easy to get ahold of.

ShockSlayer said:

Also, I recommend painter's tape over electrical tape as electrical tape can leave a residue. Also, the final comparison pic would've been better if you had used the same game, seeing as how Crystal has a black background whereas gold has a light blue one.

SS

Nice friendly community we got here. I was not even planning on using that GBA SP for anything else but this project.

Man, you want the GBASP speaker? It's a bit louder, but it's so tinny and bassless in comparison to the original GBC one.

EDIT: I'm not sure why you insisted on peeling off the foam backing either :/

EDIT2:

To find out which side is the bumpy side just run a finger nail across each side of the screen

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

All nitpicking aside it's a well organized guide.

The foam peeling was to get at the tiny ribbon cable that needed to be cut. And about the finger nail part I was trying to make it clear which side needed to go down.

-Why would anyone commission you? Instead of being helpful your tone is trollish and snarky.

I looked at the tutorial and it seems well put together, better than many of the ones I see.

I'm a friend of the poster, I hop on his router when I am over his house.

Doesn't change the fact that he put up a good tutorial and all he got was nitpicking here.

If you are trying to increase the number of people who post and read here, a more welcoming tone would reflect better on this forum.

Somehow I highly doubt that. Odds are you're the same person, but I'll humor you.

As for the criticism, don't take it too hard. No one was trying to troll you, they're trying to help you improve it and all the points were legitimate. That's what a forum is for. You can't expect people not to tell you what they think would make it better, especially when you're new. I don't even think this technically belongs in Finished Projects, considering you just linked to a guide on an external site without even embedding pics in your post (something others probably would have gotten eaten alive for). So all things considered, I don't think anyone was being overly mean to you, just relax a little.

Little-Duckie said:

-Why would anyone commission you? Instead of being helpful your tone is trollish and snarky.

I looked at the tutorial and it seems well put together, better than many of the ones I see.
Because I am very good at what I do. Plus, I know how to use the quote button :rofl:

ChooChooBot said:
ShockSlayer said:

SS

Nice friendly community we got here. I was not even planning on using that GBA SP for anything else but this project.

He wasn't really trying to be rude. It's just that people generally don't understand what they're doing when they read guides (non-modders), so they follow it exactly. I would suggest taking out that bit about cutting the ribbon cable and add in a bit where you show them how to put the SP screen back together, so it's still usable without the frontlight. I don't know if its even salvageable once you've taken the light out, but if it is, thats just what I would do. Great guide by the way. I will be using it quite soon :awesometoast:

Take it from someone who's still relatively new around these forums, the people here aren't horrible trolls out to crucify the n00bs, they're very to-the-point and honest about criticisms and helpful tips. I know, at first I was a little offended in my first few posts too.
Slightly more on topic, this is exactly the kind of guide I was looking for, thanks. ;)

StickfighterTV said:
the people here aren't horrible trolls out to crucify the n00bs, they're very to-the-point and honest about criticisms and helpful tips. I know, at first I was a little offended in my first few posts too.
Slightly more on topic, this is exactly the kind of guide I was looking for, thanks. ;)

When I critiqued the photos in one of their postings, pointing out that they were blurry, a moderator immediately deleted my comments. They even went so far as to accuse me of being the same person as the original poster of the tutorial because I use his router when I visit his house. They nitpicked that my friend chose to cut a ribbon cable and not put back together the Game Boy that he only purchased for the parts. It's his SP, he can do what he wants with it.

There's nothing helpful in a comment like this "Uh, take two pictures? Nah, that'd be too hard." It's simply rude.
Especially considering how innocuous the original post was.

Oooooh, little ducky is upset with me. :rofl:

Listen kid, it's a forum, you're going to be told you're wrong every once in a while. The smart people take the advice and move on. You seem to want to linger on something that is very, very unimportant. How childish. Also, I had my thread cleaned up so it wouldn't be full of some moronic punk critiquing my photography skills. Which the quality of pictures do not matter as long as they show the completed job.

So, quit being a little douche and everybody will treat you better.

budnespid said:
Oooooh, little ducky is upset with me. :rofl:

Listen kid, it's a forum, you're going to be told you're wrong every once in a while. The smart people take the advice and move on. You seem to want to linger on something that is very, very unimportant. How childish. Also, I had my thread cleaned up so it wouldn't be full of some moronic punk critiquing my photography skills. Which the quality of pictures do not matter as long as they show the completed job.

So, quit being a little douche and everybody will treat you better.

Budnespid I never intended this thread to be a flame war. There is a difference between giving advice than dissing someone for how they got the job done. Sure I cut the ribbon cable going to the GBA SP. I never intended to rebuild that Gameboy back together because why would I play a GBA SP with no frontlight? Sure I could have preserved the screen, but the easiest way was to simply cut the ribbon cable. My mod turned out successful and I am pleased with it. If someone is following my guide and they don't wish to cut the ribbon cable then they can find their own way to get it out. Your critiques were useful and I will make sure in future builds to look at them from a different perspective, but they way your critiques came out were in a mean sort of way. I'm new to the forums my first post ever and I'm getting slammed for posting a guide? If you want your community to grow in size I think respecting everyone's mods should come first. People spend a long time working on their mods and come here to showcase them. I hope this quarrel will end so we can get back to enjoying making modifications to retro consoles and sharing them with the community.

unicycler17 said:
Someone wanna lock this thread? It's going no where.
/backseat mod

Sure it's probably the wrong place, but I feel like this is something that needs to get talked out. This sort of thing happens a lot here, and what normally ends up happening, is everyone is angry, thread gets locked, nothing gets resolved, and the new member usually ends up leaving in a huff. I think we should keep it open and at least try to resolve this (albeit not rudely and with insults) before locking. Even if the new members end up leaving, at least we tried to work it out.

And to Duckie and ChooChoo, although the criticism you guys are receiving may just seem like insults, it is actually intended to be constructive. It took me a while to adjust to the way this forum acts, but once you do it is a great place for modders to be. Huge discoveries are made and ambitious projects are undertaken here. The discoveries that are constantly being made and posted are definitely worth the time and effort spent adjusting.

For example, here is a tiny N64 board that budnespid managed to successfully cut without RCP wiring. The smallest working non -RCP-wired board (Unless Beta's got one stashed away :p )

fUzssl.jpg

Here is a gameboy mod done by Ishmael1010. The first gameboy to ever be modded with EL wire inside.

35l9toz.jpg

While at first this forum may seem like a site full of rude, unwelcoming members, remember that we are all trying to help. No one gains anything from pushing new members away who could potentially give back to the community (or already are).

That being said, you senior members take this to heart as well and try to word your criticisms a little nicer next time. I know it's fun to be harsher, but save that for the other senior members who know your posts are constructive or know you're joking.

Man I feel like hailrazer ::3: Love ya buddy.

Back