First-time newbie - LEDs inside transparent GBA

WinCamXP

Hello! I did get some instructions from somebody on the chat, but I kind of wanted something more detailed (and preferably with pics, if possible). I want to put LEDs near the screen of my transparent GBA, and I want to know exactly what I need, and exactly where to put things and that type of thingy. I couldn't find a tutorial on YouTube specifically for the GBA, so I came here.

Also, can I have a 1-10 star rating as to how difficult this would be to an absolute beginner? And just so you know, I do have a lot of experience in geeky computer stuff, I'm just starting fresh with the modding.

Well, the first step would be to get some LED's and open up the gameboy. (I'd say blue would be the best for the LED's)
This next step is optional, but if I were you I'd diffuse the LED's with some really high grit sand paper so it shines more evenly.
Then wire the LED's in a sequence like this:
led%20pic.png

Wire them up to a power source (if you haven't already.)
After you've done that mount them to the board / case with hot glue.

This shouldn't be difficult if you have even the slightest amount of experience. I'd say it's like a 1.5/10 on the difficulty scale even for a beginner.

Thanks, but someone else said to wire them near the power switch so they're not constantly on...are they correct? Can I have a pic of the circuitboard with circles and stuff telling me where to put it? I wanted the LEDs under the screen mainly...

WinCamXP said:
Thanks, but someone else said to wire them near the power switch so they're not constantly on...are they correct? Can I have a pic of the circuitboard with circles and stuff telling me where to put it? I wanted the LEDs under the screen mainly...

Oh yeah, they are correct (I forgot to draw the switch :sweat:) . Fix'd the picture. And you shouldn't put the LED's under the screen, then you won't be able to see them. If you want them to light up the screen then you should search for "How to front light a Gameboy". Most of the tutorials on the subject are for the Gameboy Pocket / Color, but you can take the basic principle of it and apply it to a GBA.

I meant under as in below, where you can see it...that part has a lot of room and it would look cool...but thanks. So the negative is wired to the power switch, and positive goes to the battery...okay.

EDIT: And is that for the already-present power switch or for a pin thing I should add? Or both? 'Cause i wanted to have it light up while the gameboy is on.

And you are quite the artist.

WinCamXP said:
And is that for the already-present power switch or for a pin thing I should add? Or both? 'Cause i wanted to have it light up while the gameboy is on.

And you are quite the artist.

Well, I know for a fact it will work properly with a separate tact switch. But I don't know exactly how it should be wired to the "already-present power switch". Get a multimeter and test around to find out. What you could do is wire it up to a separate switch and then rig that up to the a-p power switch. Honestly I'm not the most experienced person on this website. I know quite a bit, but I'm no ShockSlayer if you catch my drift :lol:

You should get a multi meter and see what voltages you get off of the switch. Or poke around on the board until you find a good source to wire your LEDs. Also don't use a tact switch you need a switch that will remain open. Tact switches are only momentary ;)

Just tried to do this by wiring the power switch to the negativ battery connection and well i blew my first fuse the F1 YAY :dahroll: . Well i hot wired the fuse and now it works like normal. No gain and no major loss. Modding Exp gain.

Back