GBA sp in GBC shell

Hiya! This is my first post on this website, so I'm pretty excited! Let me give you a little introduction, I'm a senior in high school and as my senior project, I'll be putting GBA sp meat inside my old gameboy color case. This will be my first time working with any circuitry and soldering so it will be a completely new experience for me that will be ridden with challenges.

I have a mentor for this project that has experience with soldering so I do have some supervision and support for this project. I haven't started working on it but will do so any day now, I will also be updating this post with all of my progress. I know there is a pretty useful post about this already on this forum, but there are a few questions I will need answered before I can finish it.

How can I add a micro-usb charging port to this?
Can I add some LEDs to the GBA's motherboard? (my gbc case is clear)

I look forward to the rest of this project, thanks!

Update #1 (1/14/16)

I took apart the gpa sp to use the components.
image1_j4oufs.jpg

The battery has some gross grease type thing on it, glad I'm changing it.
image2_eghbmf.jpg

Also the original charge ports has some corrosion on it, so the micro usb charge port is a good idea.
image4_whzolq.jpg

You should be good to go on micro USB charging. Looks like you can get pre-made cables that let you charge via USB so I don't see why not. I'd also recommend using a NDS battery too because its the exact same size but has more power. You should also be fine to add LEDs. They're unnecessary and imo distracting in a GBC case though so I would leave them out but make what you like.

Cool new update to talk about. Does anyone know how to not make the images so big? I feel like they take up too much space. If there isn't a tool on the forum to do it I will probably just do it manually in a program.

Your images look fine here.

If you want I think there is a markdown tag to make them smaller, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Back