Dr.Rawr's SNES Portable Worklog

Dr.Rawr

Look what I got for my birthday :dahroll:
th_Picture003.jpg

It came with a controller, too :dah:

Yes, and guess what I plan to turn it into. I was planning to do something like this
th_Picture001.jpg

Its name? I'm thinking SNaPple

Also, be prepared for major question-asking, because this is my first portable.

I'm planning on using this screen: http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-XBox-L..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1267814937&sr=1-1
And these batteries: http://www.batteryspace.com/highpowerpolymerli-ioncell37v4700mah706285-8c1739wh37arate.aspx

Tell me what you think about my choice of parts, and I'll do whatever.

Parts look good. But the case looks difficult. It's going to take a lot of precision and skill to make a case look like a cat.

Turns out I don't have any Super Nintendo games, so I'm waiting for Kirby Super Stars to here, and I don't have a gamebit screw-driver.

On a brighter side, I remembered the bic-pen trick. And I took pictures of the process to make me feel like I'm doing something useful. In actuality, I ran out of pens, so I still can't get it open. Oh, and I can feel my brain cells dieing.

Alright. I opened it up and it's a lot smaller than I thought. I am planning on using a project enclosure box for the case, and dremel/bondo-ing the heck out of it until I get what I want. Also, I want everyone to know, I know almost nothing about these circuit boards and magic known as "electricity", so please be lenient when I ask something like "How do I wire up the controller?"

Yeah SNES Mini's really are mini. With little to no trimming, you can fit one in a DMG casing along with a 3.5" screen. Or you could go with an SL-68 which is pretty much the same size.

Quote from creator:
the Snes is an japanese snes mini, which i cut down A LOT! it took a lot of work because i had to keep checking it worked.
In other words, it won't fit without some board reduction.

Alright. Well my computer exploded, so I may stop working for a little bit. Also, what is a SL-68? I googled it and I keep getting airsoft guns :sweat:

Well, my comp is now working. The sata cable was loose :sweat:

I'm still waiting on a Snes game to get here, so there's gonna be a wait.

EDIT: Well, it works, but I'm not going to be working on it for a bit. I just bought an Xbox 360 which I'm planning on Jtagging (Great timing, ja?)

Back