Downing's 3rd N64p "The Nimbus II" Complete!!! Update Pg.11

Re: Downing's 3rd N64p "The Nimbus II"

I won't say no to taking a look at it, but we'll see how it goes. Send it over if you want!

IT LIVES!!!!! I just had to connect the wires for the bypassed switch and it worked!!!!

Good deal. I usually cut my whole switch area out and wire the voltages straight to the board. No switch bypassing needed. When the board gets power it comes on.

OK!!! It lives and everything seems ready for me to start wiring up the controller tomorrow! This could possibly (with a little luck) be complete tomorrow as I've devoted the whole day to it!

Alright, well a few quick updates. The Pizo speakers were crap... :( They had no volume to them, which I really can't say I'm that surprised. So I swapped them out with the laptop speakers I got from digikey at the same time and those kicked ass!!! Tiny and loud!

I also fixed the power switch and put thicker wires from the PS1 screen to the board and now the picture and sound are crisp and clear!

I'm a bit bummed though about a couple of things and one being my silent fan is anything but! The thing sounds like a blender, but I think it's because of the way it touches the components on the inside and it's actually rubbing slightly against them. I'll live with it though. The second is that my LED is only showing through half the "N" and is not flooding it like I thought it would. I'm thinking of putting some reflective foil to maybe bounce back some light, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

But anyway, my wiring works, my light works, my fan works and my screen works! All in all it's been a successful day! Here are some pics below to illustrate my efforts!

The initial screen wire up before changing the wires and speakers.
DSC_0087.jpg

Right after the Blue LED turned on for the first time after I had bridged the power switch connections. You can see them on the right.
DSC_0088.jpg

The Blue LED not shining through that well, but I'll play with that tomorrow.
DSC_0090.jpg

After with the new speakers and the new wiring.
DSC_0092.jpg

A screen shot to show it's working!
DSC_0091.jpg

So hopefully I'll have this complete tomorrow or at least I should have it done this weekend! Fingers crossed!

I remember attempting to help you figure out what was wrong when your first N64p wouldn't work on benheck last year. You are so grown up. :cry4:

Yeah, that was just a little over a year ago that The VrgeN64 made it's debut! It's a shame the Ben Heck site isn't getting anything on this work log because I was maliciously targeted and deleted from Ben Heck along with all my work logs when they had that attack. Ah well, I learned a lot though from there and that couldn't be taken away! I hope to have this completed today! Wish me luck!

Been having more problems than progress lately, but I'm headed back in the right direction. Will have pics and updates shortly. Waiting on a new controller to come in the mail.

Alright, I know I haven't been updating much, but like I said, I was having some major controller issues, which I think I've figured out, but to be safe I'm waiting for a couple new controllers to come in the mail so I can test the theory. Well I think I figured out why my control stick wasn't working. Seems I had the VDD and VX line mixed up on the pot. This would explain why there was no power to it! However, it does not explain why the stick worked before when I had it wired up that way...perhaps maybe when I wired it to the board I had the wires in the proper spot and didn't know it...I dunno. Regardless, I took apart my other game cube controller to look and found in fact that I did have it wired incorrectly...anyway, I've got a couple other controllers on order, so I'm gonna wait for the new ones I think.

In the mean time, I rewired the entire set up again, but this time I had a plan and now the wiring is neat, clean and organized so I should be able to close the "f-ing" thing this time without great deals of tension on the wires. Plus I had a lot of spliced connections that I did away with, keeping most everything now solid and in one strand.

As for the power problem I had, that was simply the power wire on the screen that I had pulled loose. Cleaned it up and soldered very solid to the cap. I also relocated the big cap on the PS1 screen so my battery had a bit more space to move over a bit, so that's helped quite a bit. I also added another blue LED so now the blue light really shines through the "N" log on the back! I tried replacing the fan with a quieter one, but turns out the spares I have were about the same. Oh well, it is what it is.

Anyway, more updates to come! I'm actually glad I had those controller problems because now the layout is much cleaner and will be much easier to close up when it comes to that point!

Here are some pictures!

The control stick wired correctly and wire run through the top of the system instead of the bottom with the rest of the clustered wires.
DSC_0093.jpg

The new layout.
DSC_0094.jpg

Mess of wires before the rewiring.
DSC_0095.jpg

The new LED added on the left hand side.
DSC_0096.jpg

Where it stands right now. Got a Retro-bit Retro 64 in the mail and it actually looks like it's a smaller board than the super pads that I've been using. Gonna have to wait until at least Monday to get them, but it should be worth it!
DSC_0097.jpg

With that said, here's a pic of how my control stick is wired vs the pinout on the actual stick. Am I right? I think so, but for some reason, something feels off!

Cstickpinout.jpg

Other than a few cosmetic touches, It's done! Everything works and I can close the system up! Pictures and video tomorrow!

So after nearly 5 months, "The Nimbus II" is officially complete! It has taken a lot of time and pure frustration to get to this point, but I have to say that I am quite happy with the results! Although it does have it's flaws, they are relatively minor compared to the issues I was having before hand! So, I know this is nothing new, and it really doesn't have a lot to offer other than I feel its nice on the eyes, but the fun is in the creation of the work and knowing that you've learned that much more since before you started! Enjoy a video and a few pictures!

36.jpg

26.jpg

A small piece of paint chipped off the R2 button, but that's fixable.
27.jpg

The two blue LEDs shining through.
28.jpg

Size comparison between the first and second Nimbus
30.jpg

Mario
32.jpg

DK 64 to prove it has the Expansion port.
34.jpg

Goldeneye
33.jpg

Zelda
35.jpg

All in all, other than a few cosmetic issues, I'm quite happy with how this turned out! Even though it took 5 months to complete, it was more for real life getting in the way than revisions and failures! Let me know what you think!

(*Edit: Updated Specs 4/3)
Alright, we'll I've kept this one buttoned up for a little while as I haven't had the time/set up to do what I really wanted. But anyway, here's the specs.

1- N64, 1999 Revison w/Expansion Pak
1- Custom Vacuum Formed Case
1- Game Cube D-Pad, Control Stick
1- Super Pad for PCB, A/B Buttons
1- USB Controller for C Buttons and Start Button
1- Mini SPDT Rocker Switch
2- 12V Blue LED's w/built in Resistor
1- TI PTH08080WAZ Step-Down Regulator
1- 5" Zenith PS1/PS2/Xbox Screen
2- 23mm x 8.5mm PC Mount Speakers
2- 3.7V, 4700mh Li-Po Batteries w/Protection PCB
1- 12V (Semi) Quiet Ball Bearing Fan 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/4"
2- Copper Heat Sinks for Memory Chip
14- Rubber Tip Tact Switches

Re: Downing's 3rd N64p "The Nimbus II" Complete!!! Update Pg

DONKEY KONG

I literally stopped the youtube video to post that :p

GREAT JOB!!!!!!! At first it looks big, but with the size comparison, it seems much smaller.

I love your case work. I can't wait to take credit-erm i mean give you credit for the case of my Gamecube Envision.

EDIT: I noticed some cracks near the buttons on the right. Did you use spott putty to get those small cracks?? some times its really difficult to get them all (believe me I know).

Could you provide a link to the double throw switch you used. Think it might be perfect for my GCPs.

Thanks man. Seems as though it's not going to get much interest unfortunately. Ah well, built it for myself anyway. Yeah, well all those spots were made after the fact. Yes I filled everything over and over, but the case took a lot of abuse while I was still working on the internals, so it had it's dings that would have meant sanding down to bare plastic again to fix. Didn't have that kind of time.

Here is the link to the SPDT switch. It's kind of deep though, but if you can make it work, it's pretty nice. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... &x=14&y=10

Anyway, I'm gonna shoot to get your case formed today, I just have to fill some air holes in the plaster and sand it down. I'll be doing up a work log on the case shortly! Reverse molding, not something I figured I'd ever have to try, but very glad I did!

excellent! Can't wait! It really is a beautiful portable. Unfortunately, theres just sooooo many at this point that commonalities are beginning to add up. Portables will still be appreciated, but at this point, to truly make one stand out, you probably have to make it very small or very comfortable, or have some rare features (LOB64 for example). Thats my take anyways.

No that's very true and really the way it should be. If people stagnate on one type of system than it's bound to lose interest, which is made up for when a new project comes into play. We'll see where it leads!

Back