Downing's 3rd N64p "The Nimbus II" Complete!!! Update Pg.11

Downing

Alright, we'll I've kept this one buttoned up for a little while as I haven't had the time/set up to do what I really wanted. But anyway, here's the specs.

1- N64 w/Expansion Pak - Relocated
1- Custom Vacuum Formed Case
1- Game Cube D-Pad, Control Stick and Start Button
1- Super Pad for PCB, A/B Buttons and R/L Buttons
1- USB Controller for C Buttons
1- TI PTH08080WAZ Step-Down Regulator
1- 5" Zenith PS1/PS2/Xbox Screen w/ Stock Speakers
2- 3.7V Li-Po Batteries w/Protection PCB
1- 12V Quiet Ball Bearing Fan 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/4"
2- Packs of Copper Heat Sinks
1- Pack of Rubber Tip Tact Switches

So this really isn't much different than anything else out there when it comes to the N64p and believe me, I know I'm just adding another system to the flood of them out there now, but this one I wanted to do for me, see how far I could push the design of my last system and I think it's going quite well so far. I've managed to cute the thickness down by a 1/2" inch, the width down by an 1" and the height down by a full 2" inches! As you can see in the comparison shots, the size difference is significant! What's better is that there is very little to no trimming of the board at all to make this work and for this design there is no cart slot relocation. However, it will involve doing something I haven't done before and that's relocating the Expansion Slot. But, I think I've found a way to cut the soldering in half. If this works, it will make life much easier in the future.

Yes I have seen Marshall's YAP N64 and this follows along with that design, even though I had the mold cut out before I even saw the YAP N64, so that kinda took the wind out of my sails. (Excellent work btw, credit Marshall) But I'm gonna do this for me anyway just because I like building them. So here are some progress pics. Let me know what you think and I'll keep you posted as always!

The Plan for the Layout. The Start Button has been replaced with a GC Start Button to save space.
Layout1.jpg

Again
Layout2.jpg

New Size Comparison
OrigVsNew2.jpg

Again
OrigVsNew.jpg

Prepared For Vac-Forming
Wood_TemplatesReady3.jpg

Wood_TemplatesReady2.jpg

Wood_TemplatesReady.jpg

Waiting For The Hot Plastic
Wood_TemplatesOnVacFormer.jpg

This new set up works great, but I just need to get some decent power in that room.
PlasticCooking.jpg

Rough Shell Cut
Case_FrontFace.jpg

This did not come out the way I wanted, so I'm cutting it flush with the back and filing it down to look nice.
Case_UnfinishedCartSlot.jpg

Thickness Profile and View of Fan Compartment. This will also house the headphone and hopefully charging jack. We'll have to see if there is room!

Case_Side1.jpg

Case_Back_unfinished.jpg

Re: Downing's 3rd N64p "The Nimbus II"

Very professional looking, what technique do you use for making the lines fit flush together so smoothly?

Thanks Man!

Basically to get a rough fitting, after I get it out of the mold, I put it in my little homemade dremel jig which allows me to cut the same height all the way around. Once that's done, I take a piece of sand paper that's stapled to a piece of plywood and just sand it down in a circular motion which evens up the edges almost perfectly. Seems work the best for me as of right now anyway, but I'm always refining. I've had three case commissions in the past few months (including Tchay's new GCp) and the results keep getting better. Like I said though, still a few flaws with two-tier molds, but I'm working on it! Here's a pic of my jig.

FinalTrimming.jpg

wow that looks beautiful man. Btw, I have 2 new case designs that I will be showing to you in the future :D

One of them will be very complicated but I think you can handle it from what I've seen.

@ Tchay

Sure man, we'll give it a go. You make good plans so as long as I have one of those to work with it could happen.

@ Bentomo

Yeah I probably could. I do have one but it's a cheap Home Cheapo version and I don't know if the RPMs would be enough to get the little cut-wheel spinning as fast as it would need to. Probably would. Dunno, just gonna have to try it out I guess!

Made some more progress today! Just got the front panel screen placement cut out and done and now the ABS cement is drying. I was going to flush mount it, but when I looked at how well that fit, the little bit of definition will help to keep it true to the old Nimbus 64. On the back you can see that I've fixed the cart slot a bit so at least the edges look decent and then I cut out the hole for the fan. There will be some form of mesh or wire fan guard in place later on down the road.

I also started with the Expansion port relocation. Got the bottom half done in less than 15 minutes! This new method cuts the soldering in half and is working pretty quickly! But when I get it tested I'll post how it worked because until I try it, I don't know if it will work or not!

Case_FrontScreenCut.jpg

Case_BackCut.jpg

cndowning said:
I also started with the Expansion port relocation. Got the bottom half done in less than 15 minutes! This new method cuts the soldering in half and is working pretty quickly! But when I get it tested I'll post how it worked because until I try it, I don't know if it will work or not!
Does this method use the pins already there to cut down the soldering.

Partially yes. But the new part isn't in the using of the original pins, I've seen that done before, but more the way the two layers of pins stay separated and tension relief so both the traces on the card and the board don't rip off under the strain. But I don't know if I'll be able to make it work as I already ripped one trace off the card so I have to splice that somehow. But like I said, I'll see if I can get it working and go from there!

Glad to see you've started another one! What I really like about your projects is that they always get finished in a timely fashion.
Beautiful job with the case btw.

Haha, thanks. Well in this case, I already had everything I needed, batteries, N64, Screen, so I don't have to wait for anything. Now that my shop is set up too, then I can really get to work. But thanks for the comment, we'll see how long this one takes!

Made some more progress tonight. Got all the font buttons and control parts roughly in place. I swear that Loctite Prism 401 is a modder's godsend to quick, strong holds. If there was a bit more contact area with these buttons, I would almost use this over ABS cement. I know I know, ABS cement makes a solid bond and fuses the two surfaces together, but this stuff I swear holds a bond just as strong. Only downside is it's much more fluid and dries much much faster which means you have to know exactly where this is going before you even think about applying it or you'll never get the piece out intact. But for now, the buttons holders are tacked in nicely and I'll work on the epoxy tomorrow.

Let me know what you think or if you have suggestions/questions.

Case_RoughCutButtons.jpg

Looks great! What controller are going to use?

- mymixed

Dang, nice work man!

Hm... it also seems that we own the same pair of pliers.

I've got about 3 pair of Needlenose pliers I use, those I think are the radio shack ones. Not bad, but I don't like the little click they make. Not a big deal though!

@mymixed

I'll be using a super pad/Mako Pad for my control board. It's a bit large, but I cut them down and reroute the traces so it will acutally fit correctly.

So what do you guys think? Should I paint this one White like the original, Black for a new edgy feel or a solid Blue with White cloud-like overtones? Wonder if I could pull that off...humm.

What thickness plastic did you use for the case?

- mymixed

Back