Differences between NTSC and PAL N64s

C4RB0

What are the differences between NTSC and PAL N64s? Judging by the pictures on Modretro, it looks like the only differences between Rev. 1 PAL and NTSC boards are the video DACs and the PIF-NUS. Is that true? Are there other chips that are regions specific?

Are the PAL and NTSC version of the PIF-NUS pin compatible? VDC-NUS and DENC-NUS are not pin compatible from what I've seen. But would it theoretically be possible to convert a NTSC N64 to PAL by replacing the PIF-NUS and VDC-NUS and removing the ENC-NUS?

The major differences in the N64 revisions are the between the Rev3/Rev4 and all the higher Revisions. I don't count Rev 1 because those are supposed to be prototypes sent to the dev teams and the Rev 2 are in store kiosks. So I you have a Rev1/Rev2 then you should be nice to it. Anyway the Rev3/Rev4 have two Ram chips where the Rev5 and up only have one. And the Rev3/Rev4 boards also have two chips acting as the DAC while the Rev5 and up only have one chip as the DAC. These two features make Rev3/Rev4 the go to board for Ram Swaps and RGB mods.

To the point, make sure the two boards you are comparing are in the same Revision segment. As far as I know all you have to do to play different region games on the N64 is to swap the PIF. I believe Marshall (the creator of the 64drive) said that he has an NTSC N64 that he has socketed the PIF to test his 64drives in different regions. I could have misread that at one point and he could have meant that he just swaps CICs on the cartridges.

If I'm not mistaken, you can only swap the PIF on an NTSC N64. For whatever reason maybe its that you can't get the PAL to display the game properly when you put an NTSC PIF on it. So you can play PAL games on an NTSC N64 with a PAL PIF but not the other way around. And to play Japanese games all you have to do is pull out the security plastic piece in the cartridge slot (NTSC only).

Thank you. I don't plan on actually doing this. I just want to get to know the inner workings of the console better. I'm thinking of making a custom PCB for the N64 but I don't know if I pursue this idea further.

Did Nintendo make any improvements to the CPU and the RCP in later revisions? For example, do they run cooler?

One last question: Are there any cartridges that need the 12V that go to the cartridge connector?

Differences are
1. PIF
2. Base crystal for base clock and clockgen strapping
3. Video DAC strapping

N64 has two crystals, one is 14.7 and generates about 250mhz for Rambus.
The other is either 14.31818mhz (NTSC colorburst x 4) or 17.72mhz (PAL *4)

There is a region pin on the clock generator for that crystal that specifies the PLL ratio. Consult the MX8330 datasheet/

MAV-NUS can be switched for either region by wiring some pin to VCC/gnd. Earlier video encoders couldn't be adjusted.

Back