Cuboid/Gamecuboid worklog

Kyosho

NOT KYO
Pretty sure this name hasn't been taken. Seems appropriate.

This is going to be a fairly generic GCp. It's not going to be very small, but it will have:

Wiikey Fusion
SD slot B
PSOne screen
All four controller ports
Game Boy Player
All in a ZN-45 (which, considering how small these things can be now, is rather large)

Here's some terrible pics from my phone of my first day's work:

gc2i.jpg

gc1ll.jpg

The screen hole is not finished, obviously. I am terrible with cutting good screen holes, so I'm going to take my time and file/sand it to the right size.

I like it man. Inclusion of the GB Player is pretty cool. Make sure to take lots of pics of the internals so we can see how you cram it all in there.

I'm finally getting back to this and I have a question for you guys. It's very subjective but I'd like to get your opinions. Alright, so, as mentioned, I'm including the Game Boy Player. There is a GBA emulator for the GC (VBA GX) but it doesn't play most games at 100% from what I've seen. Whether that be in speed, or sound, or whatever. It's just not the same as having the original hardware.

However, I've come to a sort of crossroads. Should I have the GBA slot in the portable, or buy and integrate a GBA flash cart? Here are my pros and cons for having it integrated:

Pros:
1. Less/easier casework.
2. Easier to place internally. It's much simpler to find a good spot for an SD slot than the much larger GBA slot.
3. Kind of cool to have everything running off 3 SD cards. Wiikey, SDGecko, GBA.

Cons:
1. Somewhat defeats the purpose of having the "original hardware". It will play the games 100% perfectly, but it's emulating the cartridge.
2. Loses the ability to properly play those few games that have extra hardware in the cartridges (vibration, light sensors, gyroscopes, etc.).
3. Potentially defeats the purpose of owning GBA carts. Though not entirely. This thing won't be pocketable so you wouldn't exactly want to toss out your SP or Micro or Afterburnered-GBA (let's hope no one actually uses a non-modded unlit GBA).
4. I have to buy the damned thing. Spending more money is annoying. In fact, it would have to wait until next month at the earliest.

I can't decide. What would you guys do? What would you want, personally? What do you think a prospective buyer would want? Not that I'm going to sell it necessarily. But still.

Back