Congrats Palmer

PalmerTech said:
Antome said:
If anything, the most innovation is happening at valve and MTBS at the moment.

Naw man, the best stuff is still at Oculus. What innovation at MTBS3D you thinking of?
Well yes you have rapid prototyping pipelines and the like which will improve the ergonomics, but are you improving the lens technology and the like?

From the outside it sounds as though Oculus is purely in software development and hardware iteration at this point.

With MTBS innovation I'm talking the various experiments users are performing with fresnel, mirrors, multiple screens, screen dimensions and such. Infiniteye, Portal and that one guy splurging money on extremely accurate distorted mirrors, come to mind, and there are certainly others actively experimenting with various relevant technologies. Laseredge is almost finished with that MIPI HDMI interface.

So I haven't really been paying attention since I accidentally bought a gun with the money I had set aside for a rift, but it certainly sounds like things are getting interesting. I assume this MIPI/HDMI interface you speak of is intended to enable the use of the various resolutionful panels from modern smartphones with head mounted displays? Which by extension could mean 60fps/per eye twin panel 3d/HD?

Who do I throw my money at?

Nice job on the round B there, Romlop.

Antome said:
Well yes you have rapid prototyping pipelines and the like which will improve the ergonomics, but are you improving the lens technology and the like?

From the outside it sounds as though Oculus is purely in software development and hardware iteration at this point.

With MTBS innovation I'm talking the various experiments users are performing with fresnel, mirrors, multiple screens, screen dimensions and such. Infiniteye, Portal and that one guy splurging money on extremely accurate distorted mirrors, come to mind, and there are certainly others actively experimenting with various relevant technologies. Laseredge is almost finished with that MIPI HDMI interface.

Our lens technology is still rapidly improving, way better than the DIY stuff out there. The lenses for the final developer kit are done, but the consumer lenses are still being worked on. As for HDMI to MIPI, we had that done last May. Not to be a hipster or anything, but we have done all this stuff before it was cool. :p I spent a lot of time building dual and quad panel HMDs with fresnels, it is a deadend for image quality, tiled optics are the way to go. The guys on MTBS3D and other forums are awesome, but it is hard to compete with a team of nearly 70 people.

Thanks, Sam!

PalmerTech said:
Antome said:

Our lens technology is still rapidly improving, way better than the DIY stuff out there. The lenses for the final developer kit are done, but the consumer lenses are still being worked on. As for HDMI to MIPI, we had that done last May. Not to be a hipster or anything, but we have done all this stuff before it was cool. :p I spent a lot of time building dual and quad panel HMDs with fresnels, it is a deadend for image quality, tiled optics are the way to go. The guys on MTBS3D and other forums are awesome, but it is hard to compete with a team of nearly 70 people.

Thanks, Sam!
It's hard to have a bearing on your guys' progress when literally every interviewer is only asking
"When will it be out?"
"What's it like? (Huh?)"
"What will the future be like?"
"Will the consumer Rift be a better Rift than the developer Rift?"
"Is John Carmack actually doing anything at Oculus?"
"What is your opinion on John Carmack?"
"What's John Carmack's opinion on ludonarrative dissonance?"
Along with various reddit flame wars involving no one on any end really knowing anything.

But yes, now that *we* can nearly use MIPI HDMI (Dang companies and their locked R&D :p) Custom HMD's should become a super neato thing.
I think Fresnel are a dead end as you say, but are they a dead end for a consumer standpoint? Right now the optics for a good Fresnel seem to be pretty solid. Rather, are foisi and Infiniteye chasing a dead end? And tiled optics, as in tiled lenses?

And in terms of news output from oculus and valve, literally nothing seems to have been released other than "We're working on a consumer device" and "Valve is R&Ding a lot" Which is wonderful.

Heh, most journalists are not well versed in VR, they don't know what questions to ask.

They are a dead end from a consumer standpoint until we have extremely high framerate screens and perfect eye tracking that will allow for realtime asymmetrical distortion correction. We don't have much to talk about right now, but we will be showing some cool stuff at CES in a couple weeks.

PalmerTech said:
Heh, most journalists are not well versed in VR, they don't know what questions to ask.

They are a dead end from a consumer standpoint until we have extremely high framerate screens and perfect eye tracking that will allow for realtime asymmetrical distortion correction. We don't have much to talk about right now, but we will be showing some cool stuff at CES in a couple weeks.
Extremely high framerate screens, you say? Strobing backlight too? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

You bet.

The kind of tech you would need for usable realtime distortion correction is years off, though.

Cracked don't like your headset.

Which means you've made it, cracked only hate things that everyone else loves.

hehey congrats again to oculus!

I am a product developer /designer from Sweden.

I got curious about why you did´nt put reflexes instead of LED´s all over The Crystal Cove?
The LED´s could be attached to the camera.

You have probably tried this out. Why did´nt it work?

Cheers! looking forward to my first "holycrapmoment" with future HMD from Oculus.

Back