classic GBA with GBASP lcd mod!!!!

Tsukimaru

hey guys, i saw this video on youtube and i got really really curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w363XLwd ... e=g-user-u

it seems that he used an adapter to connect the ribbon cable from the GBASP to the GBA input.
so i was wondering some things since he didn`t descript anything about the mod. have any of you tried this already?
cause i really am interested about how that adapter is called and where can i get it to modify the GBA i just bought ina flea market :p

This is fantastic! I was working on this modification with some success hard-soldering the LCD, but glad to see some dude already beat me to it :cool:

Mr. Hooker said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=nwDke3Jkzus&NR=1

part 1 of 2, here it is closed up,

is that a real 101 lcd, or a screen from a nockoff that happens to work?

no, it`s not a part 2, it`s just that video and the following one is the finished project. what blows my mind is that he uses a AGS 101 screen which has a great quality compared with the 001 :D

it is a real 101 lcd, but if you look closely, he uses a kind of adapter to connect it with the gba board

OK guy's, find out what the plaq this cable thingy is and talk MR into saling them in there new store.
This is the type of modding stuff we need to come up with.

It's just a 3" ffc cable with a zif connector on the end. Makes no sense. If you can plug the Gbasp screen into the extension you can plug it into the main board without the extension.

hailrazer said:
It's just a 3" ffc cable with a zif connector on the end. Makes no sense. If you can plug the Gbasp screen into the extension you can plug it into the main board without the extension.

actually you cant. the sp ribbon is a little slimmer than the classic gba`s. i know cause i tryied with a 001 screen already :/

Tsukimaru said:
hailrazer said:
It's just a 3" ffc cable with a zif connector on the end. Makes no sense. If you can plug the Gbasp into the extension you can plug it into the main board without the extension.

sure you can, but this method is way less risky for those who are noobies like me and many others here hehe

Well heck I'll make a bunch for the store if everyone wants them.

hailrazer said:
Tsukimaru said:
hailrazer said:
It's just a 3" ffc cable with a zif on the end. Makes no sense. If you can plug the Gbasp into the extension you can plug it into the main board without the extension.

sure you can, but this method is way less risky for those who are noobies like me and many others here hehe

Well heck I'll make a bunch for the store if everyone wants them.

yet again i missread there hahahahaha i really need to go to sleep. i already edited my comment. sorry again

hailrazer said:

I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. It's not just an extension; obviously it does some re-routing of signals. That it would be an extension alone is simply silly - the connectors don't even match.

I'm looking into a Taobao agent and hope to get my hands on one of these soon.

Bibin said:
hailrazer said:
It's a 3" ffc cable with a zif connector on the end. Makes no sense. If you can the Gbasp screen into the extension you can plug it into the main board without the extension.

I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. It's not just an extension; obviously it does some re-routing of signals. That it would be an extension alone is simply silly - the connectors don't even match.

if you get to find those, please let me know where to buy it too cause i need to do this mod before a looong travel im making to Egipt, and the flight will least 23 HOURS (with 3 scales betwen), so i want to clear Pokemon Ruby and Emerald during the flight with a decent screen haha

Bibin said:
hailrazer said:

And I don't think you know what you are talking about. (See how being rude works both ways and is just as easy).

The white/blue ffc cable is an extension. That much is obvious. Then it has a zif connector on the end of it. So where is all this re-routing taking place?

If you go to the Taobao store that the guy links to in his video description and look at some of his pics you'll see that he does have some extra wires going somewhere:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14045909056

look on that page and click the little thumbnail pics under the main image to see what I'm talking about. I'd love to know exactly how to do this for both models of the original GBA. The one with the 40 pin connector and the one with the 32 pin connector.

Those are just power for the back light. It's just an ffc with a special zif connector and then you connect power for the back light.

For the 40 pin it looks like you need maybe power and ground, but for the 32 pin only power.

Now why does he sell an external battery pak with them also ?????

And why in the video are there no extra wires ????

Yep looks like you're right. Looks like he's got just a single wire going somewhere here:

Capture-12.png

To bad the photo's are crap and you can't see exactly what he's doing...

Yea in your pic Ash and in this one :

T28NusXbBXXXXXXXXX_%21%2161106014.jpg

You can see he just attached a wire to the last pin on the ffc. Must be for power. Easy way to check is put a meter on the last pin on the GbaSp screen and see if it is 3.7v or thereabouts.

well, i guess someone here should try to do the mod and then show off the results. it doesnt seem comlpex at all, just the adapter and the wire for the light (maybe im talking nosense since i just mod with instructables, otherwise im a total zero haha)

I think it will be well under 3.7v
the GBA runs from 2 to 3V on 2 AA's
and in the 2nd vid he is running on 2 AA's and the screen was vary well lit.

Mr. Hooker said:
I think it will be well under 3.7v
the GBA runs from 2 to 3V on 2 AA's
and in the 2nd vid he is running on 2 AA's and the screen was vary well lit.

The Gba Sp runs off a 3.7v battery. So when using an SP backlit screen it could be as high as 3.7v.

Yes you can run most 3.7v electronics at around 3v, but I was pointing out the most likely voltage a Gba Sp screen would run at hooked to a Gba Sp.

Back