cartslot doesn't work

I've wired this cart slot 3 times now and the mobo turns on every time but there is no picture on the screen. I've tested the batteries/reg/exp pack on an unmoded n64 and they all work. I've done continuity tests on every pin from the cart slot, av out etc, checked for dust/bridged pins and everything checks out. the wire length I'm using for the cart slot is 11cm (4 1/4 inches). Can you fry an n64 and still power it up?

MarioOwnsAll

Yeah, fried boards will still power up. Take out the game and the expansion pack and turn the board on. If the RCP (the large chip in the center) gets extremely hot within a few seconds, more than likely it's fried.

If it doesn't get hot quick, unhook everything and set the board aside for a week. Nine times out of ten when you come back to try again you'll figure put what you missed the first time (whether you realize it or not) and the board boots.

It also never hurts to go over every single component on the board looking for bridging. Sometimes when I'm soldering tiny flecks of solder fall onto the board and just sit on top of chip pins. They never boot till I scour the board and locate the miniscule ball of solder.

Good luck figuring out your problem.

I've left the mobo on for 5min and the rcp doesn't heat up at all, none of the chips do. I've gone over every single pin, solder pad and connection on the board and nothing is bridging and there is no dust. It just flat out refuses to work. I put the mobo aside for now and I'll try again in a week but it looks like I will need a new n64.

MarioOwnsAll

Do you have some canned air. If so spray that board off like a mad-man. Those chip pins get bridged easily by flakes of metal and solder.

Have you tried pulling audio and video from different points besides the original solder points?

The connections on the board end are very messy. And I would suggest stripping much less in the future. There is a big blob of crap in the middle above the top row. Remove it.

ToastBucket said:
The connections on the board end are very messy. And I would suggest stripping much less in the future. There is a big blob of crap in the middle above the top row. Remove it.
I've tested all the connections and nothing is bridging. Not easy to see in the picture because of the quality going to try to get better pictures.

MarioOwnsAll

It looks like he's got ground connected at the very front of the board for some reason but that could be something else.

There are several ground pins above and below the 50 cart slot pins. A lot of times the cart slot wires if they are stripped to far can be making contact with those ground pads. Especially the bottom row because the wires are laying down on those ground pads and you can't see the wire touching it.

So be sure to check all the wires laying on or near the ground pads and make sure they aren't touching.

hailrazer said:
There are several ground pins above and below the 50 cart slot pins. A lot of times the cart slot wires if they are stripped to far can be making contact with those ground pads. Especially the bottom row because the wires are laying down on those ground pads and you can't see the wire touching it.

So be sure to check all the wires laying on or near the ground pads and make sure they aren't touching.
Good point, I took a piece of paper and used it to divide the top row from the bottom so that they wouldn't touch and I still got the same result. The only other thing that the wires could be touching is one of the six metal bumps that go along the top and bottom of the 50 cart slot pins (I'm fairly certain that these pins don't do anything and they are just there for support). I'll try wiring the cart slot one more time with minimal wire stripping and if that doesn't work them I believe this board is truly fried (after leaving the board on for 5min straight none of the chips generate any heat what so ever).

MarioOwnsAll

There is NEVER just something for "support" if it isn't voltage or data of some sort, it's ground. So anything that's touching those "bumps" are being shorted to ground.

bud said:
There is NEVER just something for "support" if it isn't voltage or data of some sort, it's ground. So anything that's touching those "bumps" are being shorted to ground.
You were right bud, had to redo the cart slot for the 4th time except staggering the wires so as to avoid touching those ground pins and now it works. Thanks :D

MarioOwnsAll

MarioOwnsAll said:
bud said:
You were right bud, had to redo the cart slot for the 4th time except staggering the wires so as to avoid touching those ground pins and now it works. Thanks :D

MarioOwnsAll

What I get no credit :p

Glad you got it working.

hailrazer said:
MarioOwnsAll said:
bud said:

MarioOwnsAll

What I get no credit :p

Glad you got it working.
Your right too hail, thanks for the all the help everyone.

MarioOwnsAll

Back