cartrige slot question

kos

okay so im trying to make this design
2ewz6nr.jpg

and i kind of want to put the cartrige slot on the front where the n64 logo is but im not sure if that will work. i dont plan on cutting the board because i dont want to mess it up. so is it possible to make the cartrige slot in the front? and do i have to cut the board to get it to fit? oh and i want the cartrige to slip all the way inside like a gba cartrige.

You don't need to cut the board at all... there is tons of free space in an n64 case. it's possible to fit the slot in the front but you will have to relocate the card slot

thelukestir said:
You don't need to cut the board at all... there is tons of free space in an n64 case. it's possible to fit the slot in the front but you will have to relocate the card slot
where do you suggest i move it to?

it might all fit easier if you cut the board but its not necessary..... the cart can go in the front but youll need to do a relocation it make sure you can put the cartridge in easily though

Hrduncan said:
it might all fit easier if you cut the board but its not necessary..... the cart can go in the front but youll need to do a relocation it make sure you can put the cartridge in easily though
yeah but i dont really want to mess it up when i cut it...is there a safe way to cut it without damaging the board?

kos said:
Hrduncan said:
yeah but i dont really want to mess it up when i cut it...is there a safe way to cut it without damaging the board?

You dont need to cut it.

thelukestir said:
kos said:
Hrduncan said:

You dont need to cut it.
oh then why do other ppl cut theirs?

they chop off areas like the grounding strip which is not needed and some of the ports which can be wired to the chips that control them

edit: also idk what you mean by nintendo figuring it out... It's not like they are out to get us

thelukestir said:
they chop off areas like the grounding strip which is not needed and some of the ports which can be wired to the chips that control them
oh yeah that seems logical...i found this thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=245 and it says something about rcp...what is that? and are all of those parts that the diagram tells you to put back on little chips?

i didnt mean it like that..i meant how didnt nintendo relise that they could make the n64 smaller by trimming the board down

rcp wiring is like relocating the card slot but wiring it directly into the chip that controls it to let you cut off a large part of the board

thelukestir said:
rcp wiring is like relocating the card slot but wiring it directly into the chip that controls it to let you cut off a large part of the board
okay lets see if i get this....so instead of being hooked on with wires its hooked directly to the board? so that means you can resize the board to make it smaller...

Nintendo knew they could make the n64 smaller, I am sure, but they dont exactly make these things with us folks in mind, and smaller is always more costly to produce.

samjc3 said:
Nintendo knew they could make the n64 smaller, I am sure, but they dont exactly make these things with us folks in mind, and smaller is always more costly to produce.
true

so if i follow shockslayers diagram i can make it smaller? i just cant think of a case to put it in
oh and it would be helpful if soeone could give me the dementions for the bord in shockslayers diagram

instead of wiring the slot to the part of the board it should be you rewire it directly to the chip letting you cut off the part where it should have been wired... also nintendo obviously wasnt worried about size, their case is huge

kos said:
so if i follow shockslayers diagram i can make it smaller? i just cant think of a case to put it in
oh and it would be helpful if soeone could give me the dementions for the bord in shockslayers diagram

If you're using the n64 case you DO NOT NEED TO TRIM THE BOARD kthxbai

thelukestir said:
instead of wiring the slot to the part of the board it should be you rewire it directly to the chip letting you cut off the part where it should have been wired... also nintendo obviously wasnt worried about size, their case is huge
okay hey do you know the demensions of the cut board shockslayer made in his diagram? and how do i tell wich parts are which?

Back