Can I completely reset my wii to factory settings?

bentomo

Frequent Poster
I used bannerbomb on my wii so I could use homebrew, but I'm not actually using it as much I thought I would. And now I can't update my wii anymore. So now I was wondering if I could get my wii back to official launch firmware so it's a normal wii again. I used the softmod bannerbomb, homebrew channel, boot games from the disc channel, and bootmii.

So anyway to reset it?

Yes and No, but more importantly, why bother?
Even if you remove all of that, it's still going to leave remnants behind, and your warranty is still voided.

I can understand not using it, but, why get rid of it?
It's not taking up space you'd use otherwise ;)

I wanted to get rid of it because I can't update my console. I can't use the shop channel or new updates. So yeah, I know that the warranty is voided. It's a launch wii so it was already voided as of like 2 years ago. I mostly want to know how to update bannerbomb. I think that's what I should have asked.

you can still update, but you just have to be sure you go to Wiibrew.org to before updating to read what exactly the update will do to homebrew updated systems.

If you update, it'll simply remove all the homebrew you have on there.

Simple.

You can still use the Shop Channel, etc, even with homebrew.
And, in fact, new homebrew solutions exist so that you can use homebrew on even the most recent firmware.

Maxconsole and other sites are saying that the newest update can brick modded consoles. Don't know if it's true but Nintendo has confirmed it. So maybe be careful ?

I've also heard that the update can brick unmodded, stock consoles as well. So it must be a pretty extreme update.

XCVG said:
I've also heard that the update can brick unmodded, stock consoles as well. So it must be a pretty extreme update.
system menu 4.2 is only for the purpose of blocking hacks. no point in updating to 4.2

the reason it can brick a system is because they overwrite the Boot2 sector, which modders used for Bootmii. Nintendo decided that they could overwrite it to fix the hack, but of course it was already worked around a couple days later tops. So I'm guessing that whatever they're doing with boot2 got corrupted at some point and is causing the system to brick.

If you're worried about bricking your system, what you should be happy you've hacked your wii, because you can backup you're Wii's firmware to an SD card from with Bootmii, and restore the firmware if you somehow manage to brick it.

I guess I'll just just use the homebrew fix for the shop and nintendo channel. What fixes are there and where can I get a guide?

I know this but I have no idea how to install it. I don't get it, it's just a page telling me what it is. I guess it's just a wiki or something. I can't find a guide on how to install it. I mostly want to fix the nintendo channel though.

bentomo said:
I know this but I have no idea how to install it. I don't get it, it's just a page telling me what it is. I guess it's just a wiki or something. I can't find a guide on how to install it. I mostly want to fix the nintendo channel though.
there's a box on the right side of the page with a link to the file.

Back