Bud's N64 Trimming Guide

Thielink said:
Could someone explain me what does the resistor fix do ? Thank you
On some of the board revisions, if the n64 doesnt work at all, you can put a resistor between one of the pif pins and 3.3v. This should fix it as long as that was the only issue. I've had to do that a few times myself. It's nothing to be scared of.

yeah i know i did this fix but i just want to know what is the reason of this because i got a problem with my audio and video . The trim worked very good but there seem to have distortion in the video and sound (video look good all the color are here but it look like if you filmed a screen) . If someone can help .

Thank you
ps: sorry for my bad english.

It help but doesn't solve the problem . For the video the new traces just doesn't work . I'll try to put a 75ohm resistor to the old trace for the video as you said but for the audio there is a whistling at the start and then the sound that i hear in the backround is more like a "takakakakakakakaka". When there is no music at al i can hear back the whistling. Any idea how to solve this? It would be greatly appreciated

Have you removed any capacitors, particularly in the top right of the board as I have found (on my PAL board at least), that removing C33 has similar symptoms.

Try using shielded wire with ground connected at both ends. What are you using for an audio amp?

I've done the bud trim twice and it's worked fine.

SS

Hey guys, Ive trimmed the left side and front of my board and so far its working great! I would like to loose another bit off of the right if possible, but my board has a different layout than the one pictured. Heres my board before the trimming. Any help is greatly appreciated!

fullboardtrim.jpg

closeupleftsidetrim.jpg

EDIT: Better Images, NOW WITH CUT LINES!

sorry for double posting but i still have a problem . I tried to put a 75ohm resistor on the conmposite line as shockslayer said but it didn't do anything. i still have audio and video distortion . Any tips ?

found the problem for my video but now i need to find the solution . when i run my screen from another voltage source it run without any distortion . the distortion come when i plug my screen to my batteries. another info that might help : I use a ebay 4.3" screen and two li-ion 7.4v 2500mah battery that are plugged in paralel . And i still have audio distortion problem.

Thank you

I made my trimming today, on my second board. But I faced a problem, I won't turn on every time, it's like I don't touch it, try to turn it on but it only does 3 in 10 times. I am sure i'ts not a bad contact, I verifies more that 15 times. Also it has this mod (to play on color on PAL-M):

2pyq9ld.jpg

Wouls sand make any difference? I cut with a dremel, I only took a pic before I cut. I don't have the crystal to replace it, and don't know the value.

I cut it right below the expansion port. I have recolated the traces below, I will check it. Any other ideas? Any one got amsimilar problem?

Back