BMO!

BeeMO

Hey ModRetro,

This is a start of my Worklog for BMO. I decided to go with a simple external video player for the main hardware BMO will run off of.

I know Blender, and it would have been awesome if I could have created a game, with different pressed of a controller (his body) making BMO say different things. But the only way I could believe to implement that would be to put a tiny computer inside his body. This would be too costly, and also the only computer small enough I could think of is a mac mini. Also, I wouldn't be positive it would fit.

So I thought to just make an extremely long running video of mostly just BMO's face looking around and once every minute or so say a phrase and then continue to look around. This process would go on cycling through different phrases for a long time.

This external video player can run off SD cards, which I thought was great for size reasons.

I attached some pictures. I ended up using a dremel to get at the mobo, only after did I realize where the screws were to open up tit up (under some rubber feet).

micca_work_2.jpg

Question time: I want to use the PS1 LCD screen to hook up to this external video player. It has an AV cable hook up port, also HD component cable port. But with the guides for connecting the PS1 screen to say an N64 or gamecube, they don't have this port.

Should I remove this port and try to solder AV wires directly to the mobo?
Or can I use the port and AV cable that comes with it and snip off the ends and use the wires to somehow connnect it to the PS1 LCD screen?

Please reply if you can help answer this questions, or just general encouragement!

Picture below as reference to what I am talking about for the "ports".

micca_pic3.jpg

Raspberry Pi would be a great little computer to put in a BMO, I've been planning to do it myself. Only $35 too. http://www.raspberrypi.org/

There might be a bit of an issue using a PS1 screen. The motherboard pokes out a fair bit around the screen, maybe even too much to fit in the BMO sized case.

Thanks SO much DK!

I am definitely going to buy this and check it out! The game I create wouldn't need a very powerful computer and after looking into the specs a bit I believe that raspberrypi should do the trick!

Now I just need to figure out how to cut up a keyboard small enough to fit inside him with a few keys workings. Or maybe just use a small mouse for the buttons.

Seems like it could work, would save a lot of space.

I have so much research to do... Haven't dealt with that before so will need to figure out how to create a couple buttons. And after how Blender would understand the buttons I created to implement them in my game.

Thanks for the suggestion, would save me a lot of space inside of him.

At the risk of bumping a dead thread...

What's a BMO? When I Google it, all I get is the Bank of Montreal.

That thing in his Avvy. It's from adventure time, or something...

Oh, I hope the thread isn't dead. I just haven't had much time recently with the end of the college semester.

But yes, as ttsgeb said it is from Adventure Time. Just google "BMO adventure time" or the like and you will understand.

I hope to update as soon as I can!

Back