Mustang72

So I'm trying to build a portable GameCube. This is my first ever attempt for anything this challenging, so it is extremely possible that I just completely screwed up. I have a completely stock DOL-001 GameCube without a single thing done to it other than being taken apart. I've run 8 AA batteries to the posts that connect the game cubes power adapter to the AC to 12v DC converter. I also have just a basic 5" screen that also draws 12V, so I also have that simply connected to the same posts. When running everything off of the original power cord, everything works. But when attempting to run off of batteries, everything will power on, but the orange led from the GameCube will flash, and there's no startup screen.

Any help would be much appreciated, even if it is critical.

AA batteries might not be able to provide enough juice to power the GameCube. Even if they did you'd get under an hour before having to replace all 8 batteries, which is why most portables are tethered to a wall or using lithium ion batteries.

Oh, sorry for not clarifying. The AAs are just because I needed a wireless source of 12V to make sure everything was working. They weren't going to be part of the final product.

I'm not quite sure why there would be an orange flashing light. i don't think that AA batteries would work because alkaline batteries start at 1.5V but generally go down to 1.3V before they die, so it starts at 12V but after some time would go down to 10V. If you want to use Doubles A's then make sure you use new batteries but don't use rechargeable NiMH batteries(because they start at 1.2V)

The max discharge rate of AAs might be below what the GameCube draws, which I believe would manifest in a voltage drop, which in turn might cause this behavior.

The max discharge rate of AAs might be below what the GameCube draws, which I believe would manifest in a voltage drop, which in turn might cause this behavior.
Yup, I'm almost sure your right. AA Batteries in general only really discharge at 1 amp (the c rating isn't advertised but its probably close to that) so AA Batteries just would not work. If you want wireless then go get some lipo's or lilon batteries and a protection circuit and you should be golden :)

Back