Anyone here done a dreamCast Portable?

QuickSkop3

I wanna do something Unique, cause I like being Special, Anyone at MR done the DreamCast (Other than Hail or Bac, which is weird, since its not under the MegaSticky)

Anyone else?

Why not a CDX portable?

The CDX is quite original in the lines of portables. I've wanted to do one for a while, but then I saw the price of a CDX and decided against it. I mean, we have one at my grandparent's, but I'm not about to put it under the soldering iron until I know exactly what I'm doing. (Plus my grandma may not want me to tear apart the only game system they have in their house)

Hermaphroditus said:
Why not a CDX portable?

The CDX is quite original in the lines of portables. I've wanted to do one for a while, but then I saw the price of a CDX and decided against it. I mean, we have one at my grandparent's, but I'm not about to put it under the soldering iron until I know exactly what I'm doing. (Plus my grandma may not want me to tear apart the only game system they have in their house)

Reason for doing DreamCast: It raised me better than my parents did. Problems? Dreamcast= fix. I love this console to death, and I have my original (like you, I wont be slicing that one up :) )

Hermaphroditus said:
Why not a CDX portable?

Yesterday Benheck was talking about how he wants to make a CDX portable, which would be win since you could play Snatcher on the go.

Well, Bac doesn't really want his portable here anyway, which is why it isn't in the megasticky. As for hail's it seems that any projects that aren't worklogged here aren't stickied here. Unless they ask for it to be.

This is almost exactly the same as the question from a few days ago, in regards to the megasticky.

The megasticky for MR projects.

AFAIK someone already made a CDX portable WITH a 32X. I forget where I saw it though.

Anyway, a DCp is not all that unique. Hail has made one, and so has *shudder* Bacteria. That said, it's still a pretty uncommon console to portabilize, so go for it.

Lastly, it's not dreamCast, it's not DreamCast, its just Dreamcast. Type it with me... Dreamcast.

Also, not many people have made a DCp, since it is probably one of the hardest consoles to portablize. If you have minimal soldering skills/electronics skills, I recommend that you do not attempt this, and maybe start with something simpler first?

Bacteria's isn't in here for reasons you would discover if you bothered to pull your head out of your ass every now and then.

Also-there is a CDXp on POD.

I built a DCp some time ago. It was my first portable. I built a couple of others, but never really posted them (their in terrible, broken down condition now, but I plan on finishing them...sometime :lol: ) Right now, I'm currently on a N64p, about 60% done it. You know, when I got into this hobby, EVERYONE and their grandma said "DCp is TOO hard to try as your first. Do a NESp or N64p first and get used to the field. I tried a N64p first, and you know what? It wasn't easy at ALL. It got quite annoying with the constant rewiring (of course I was a complete amateur at the time and had NO patience) and frustration was constant. Then I said screw it, and did what I REALLY wanted the whole time. A DCp. I'm a complete Sonic FREAK! That hedgehog is my idol! So playing Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on the bus became my dream. So I did the DCp first, and you know what? It really wasn't that hard :confused: (of course it is completely hideous :lol: )

Showcase: http://showcase.benheck.com/sonic4freed ... e_132.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Full album: http://yfrog.com/1qsonicteamlogob10f2cf0e5gx
(it has more pics, including gut pics)

Now I'm not saying disregard the senior members on the forums, because they only mean good and have a lot to share and teach us new comers (yes, I'm still new and learning a lot in this hobby).But what I am saying is, don't lose sight of what you want and be discouraged. It may look like a big pill to swallow, but just like observing something from a distance. Once you step back, analyze and understand, it doesn't look that big anymore ;)

+1 to Sonic4Freedom.

I was originally going to build a NESp for my first portable. But the thing is, parts are expensive and often hard to get (especially screens). I really wanted an N64p, and it felt like kind of a waste to do a NESp. The first attempt was a disaster because I had no idea what I was doing. The second attempt was going okay, I was less ambitious for better or for worse, but I gave up on it because it was crap. That was the Wii Screen disaster by the way (check the YAP64 thread for details). So I pulled out all the stops and built what I originally planned to do- an N64p with 3.5" screen in a ZN-40. And you know what? It's finished now! Granted it's huge and ugly, but I finally finished something.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my next console project will be. I don't have a lot of money right now and I'm preoccupied with other things. I'm thinking maybe a Dreamcast fliptop- but Dreamcasts are kind of expensive and the screen I want costs $100. Maybe an XBOX laptop- but that's pretty pointless considering a normal laptop would probably be cheaper and would do more. A modded N64 (not portable) maybe? Anyone have a spare PAL PIF chip laying around?

Back