All PS3 Phats b0rked, apparently

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
For the past few days, I've been unable to sign in to the PlayStation network. I keep getting this same old DNS error code or whatnot. The suggested fix was to reboot your router. Okay, done, and guess what? I can sign in -- wait, what? A brand-new error code! After a bit of swearing to myself, I looked it up, and I was shocked by what I found: apparently all PS3 Phats have had some bug in their internal clock that caused them to reset to some weird past date (mine's currently December 31, 1999, 4:00 PM or so) and thus are unable to connect to the PlayStation Network and things like trophies are getting messed up. Setting the clocks forward does nothing. Luckily for PS3 Slim owners, their systems don't suffer from this bug, so they can continue to game as normal. Sony is apparently working on this. They Dang well better get it fixed soon or they're gonna have one Heck of a mess on their hands. As one of the (seemingly many) affected, I'm not exactly pleased.

Here's a thread I discovered though someone on the PlayStation.com forums that explains everything:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1675

and I remember right when I was playing online with a friend and things started to go dead for me. :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :pirate: :stare:
how am I gonna play uncharted twooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo multiplayer??

Not much we can do for now except wait, I guess. Or we could build a bonfire and all sing Kumbayah or something.

Hah! Is that just me or do consoles have more problems than PCs these days? (numerous 360 hardware issues including but not limited to RROD, Wii update bricking stock Wiis, and now this PS3 problem)

I remember something similar to this happened with the 30gb Zunes, but I believe in that case you just had to wait a day or so for it to reset the clock for the new year. Anyway, I haven't tried connecting to the PSN today, but I was able to connect fine yesterday, and my brother was able to get on with his PS3 earlier today as well.

EDIT: Just looked at the date and time settings on my PS3, and surely enough it says "12/31/1999 6:55 PM"

EDIT2: Time and date on my brothers PS3 seems to be fine. :hit:

XCVG said:
Hah! Is that just me or do consoles have more problems than PCs these days? (numerous 360 hardware issues including but not limited to RROD, Wii update bricking stock Wiis, and now this PS3 problem)
One word to describe PC problems greater than all of those put together: Windows.

:awesome:

grossaffe said:
XCVG said:
What describes PC problems greater than all of those put together: The People Who Use Them.

Fix'd

jleemero said:
grossaffe said:
XCVG said:
What describes PC problems greater than all of those put together: The People Who Use Them.

Fix'd

QFT

Guys, don't turn this into a console war or OS war. I'll lock this thread IMMEDIATELY if it happens.

I just wanted to inform everyone here who owns a PS3 Phat that there are currently problems going on.

EDIT: Everything's okay now, it sounds like. Supposedly the PS3's internal clock thought 2010 was a leap year, which is the reason the error occurred yesterday. Now that it's past that date, the error no longer exists, the date and time can be reset to their proper time, and you can go online again. Jubilations!

My best friend owns a PS3. I wonder if he had that problem or not...

Anyway, that's really strange. It's like Y2K- but real, and only for PS3.

Back