A Quick Video Game Rant

I Dang near cried when I saw the Max Payne 3 trailer. I truly think this game will break the cycle. Recently all the games that I loved in the past are getting their rightful sequels. But unfortunately they all are incredibly rushed (considering that most of them have been in production for upwards of ten years, this makes no sense) hardly playable, and barely considered games. (Duke Nukem Forever, Serious Sam BFE, Deus Ex Human Revolution, GoldenEye, Postal 3, and I won't even get started on SEGA) I am not trying to say that all series revives are bad, take the recent fallout revive amazing in every way, Valve has also done an amazing job with half life and team fortress, and also Dragon Age with it's incredible revive of Bualder's gate. But I know Rockstar has taken the best care of Max and will revive him in all his former, Matrix style glory. If this game is successful Rockstar can show the world we are ready for the revival of the greats. For the love of God we need a good Quake, no one is satisfied with that flax you've been feeding us ID. Dreamfall Chapters needs to go back into production, this game hold a special place in my heart and truly changed me as a person, we need the sequel to quite possibly the greatest game of all time. A proper Banjo Kazzoie needs to happen Rare what the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* was Nuts and Bolts. Even though Lucas Arts has broken out of the point and click adventure games and this will probably never happen, a new Grim Fandango would be beloved by all the classic gamers the world around. More than anything else we need the sequel to Qsychonauts, Tim Shaffer and double fine have made games on a completely different caliber ever since they started. Every game they made was amazing, Qsyconauts, Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, and surprisingly Sesame Street Once Upon a Monster. Even though they undebatably, make some of the greatest games the world has ever seen, they get no recognition. This is the problem, after a while people stop caring. Developers don't put the love and care something as important as a revive needs. This needs to change, as a community we need to show a more support as a whole. Wouldn't the world be a better place without painfully jaded fanboys like me, who genuinely consider suicide every time they look at their dreamcast. I actually tried it when I played Duke Nukem Forever, I actually cried when I picked it up at the store, played though the entire thing thinking of late nights I spent with buddies playing this over LAN into the we hours of the morning, how iconic Duke was with his catch phrases we'd get in trouble for repeating, that game showed me tits for the first time, in all their pixelated glory, and realizing how much it meant to me I lost the will to go on in a world where Duke had become this. I don't belive this will happen, but what if we could change something.

Personally I think COD pretty much ruined most of the game industry. The majority of gamers out there now want good graphic games. No not high quality or good story line, just eye-candy. They manage to amuse year after year of the same stuff in the last game, tweaked slightly and sometimes ONLY SOMETIMES with better graphics. It also made it really hard to break into the market because most people will choose not to buy a new game because of the graphics and that is quite a pricey risk nobody has been willing to take. I also think that ,because of the lack of new games in the market, the devs have begun to get a little lazy when it comes to making a sequel because after the first or second game they have everybody hooked. I myself heard that skyward sword was coming out and bought it without reading anything or watching a trailer just because, it was a new zelda game. I open a nes emulator and it takes me 6 months to beat a game and I would have a fair bit of trouble with it but then I turn on my ps3 with a friend and destroy the game in less then a night.

superben51 said:
ersonally I think COD pretty much ruined most of the game industry. The majority of gamers out there now want good graphic games.
My friend won't even touch a ps2 because he is that picky about graphics. He won't play an xbox 360 without a precious HDMI cable. He doesn't even know what the Heck a Gamecube is! Sad times are upon us.

Yeah I'm pumped for Max Payne 3. Game looks so bomb.

I loved the first one for the PS2. Something lonely about that game, and yet captivating with the narration.

I only care about graphics when it comes to Zelda games and handhelds....

which makes no sense when you think about it...

I was about to tl;dr this... But other people commented. Seriously consider the enter key next time.

Personally, I like n&b... But I will say that it does seem that more games are about being pretty and easy these days, and while I think there is more of a story to a lot of newer games, I feel it tends to be wasted on telling the same story over and over. I can only take so many zombie space marine war reenactmeants.

kigconker1 said:
Even though Lucas Arts has broken out of the point and click adventure games and this will probably never happen, a new Grim Fandango would be beloved by all the classic gamers the world around.
A sequel to Maniac Mansion would be nice too.

I'm just gonna pick apart a few of your points, hope you don't mind.

GoldenEye
Strongest effort in the Bond series since er... GoldenEye, it's nothing like the original and this is only a good thing. It's a good iteration in the series.

I won't even get started on SEGA
Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are the best games in the Sonic series since Sonic & Knuckles.

I actually tried it when I played Duke Nukem Forever
Regardless of the games quality, the slightest idea of a Nukem reboot was dead in the water immediately even before the long development cycle, Duke Nukem is a 90s thing, it's so laughably dated today that they may as well of not even bothered. Duke Nukem 3D is pretty good for the fact that it has nostalgia on it's side and it's good for 1996, actually it was one of my favourite games as a kid but I knew for a fact DNF would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Personally I think COD pretty much ruined most of the game industry
the graphics over gameplay cycle existed well in the mid 90s, COD suffers from Activision's cycle of rinse & repeat development cycles like many other of their franchises, but COD4 and Black Ops remain 2 recent efforts to show a bit of imagination in what is otherwise a stale franchise, and recent sales trends show that even the average consumer is starting to feel burnt out by numerous iterations of the same game.

He won't play an xbox 360 without a precious HDMI cable
Playing a 360 in SD or on a 4::3: TV is a horribly painful experience, I don't blame him.

Strongest effort in the Bond series since er... GoldenEye, it's nothing like the original and this is only a good thing. It's a good iteration in the series.
I have to disagree with you there, it's COD with nostalgic locations.

Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are the best games in the Sonic series since Sonic & Knuckles.
No, Colors was horrible, Generations was the best thing since A2, I will give you that.

Duke Nukem is a 90s thing, it's so laughably dated today that they may as well of not even bothered. Duke Nukem 3D is pretty good for the fact that it has nostalgia on it's side and it's good for 1996, actually it was one of my favourite games as a kid but I knew for a fact DNF would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
I did too, I just didn't want to admit it, but your second point isn't necessarily true. This might seem far fetched, but take HL2, the level design is similar to DN3D in many ways, so is the gameplay, instead of waves of enemies like DNF, it has strategically placed masses, it also essentially has health packs.(I have no Idea why this is such a taboo idea these days, why hiding became a replacement for skill I will never know)

paragraphs are your friend.
Yes I know, unfortunately I was tired when I was typing this, apparently too tired to use them. Capitalization is also your friend.

I have to disagree with you there, it's COD with nostalgic locations.
It's a Bond game running on the COD engine, it's just better than Quantum of Solace, and everything is better than TWINE (including the movie) and the Rouge Agent. Nightfire was alright.

No, Colors was horrible, Generations was the best thing since A2, I will give you that.
Adventure 2 is like a crappy fanfic gone wild, coupled with absolutely terrible music, terrible characters (that bogged down the series so much they all got the cut in less than 5 years nearly), and strange gameplay decisions such as a treasure hunt that didn't let you look for pieces as they were, tails piloting an incredibly hard to control tank and a plot that couldn't even put an overzealous 12 year old nerd to shame.

I did too, I just didn't want to admit it, but your second point isn't necessarily true. This might seem far fetched, but take HL2, the level design is similar to DN3D in many ways, so is the gameplay, instead of waves of enemies like DNF, it has strategically placed masses, it also essentially has health packs.(I have no Idea why this is such a taboo idea these days, why hiding became a replacement for skill I will never know)
DN3D as a game isnt that dated. Duke Nukem the character is dated in many ways, down to the box haircut and corny phrases, apart from DN3D barely any titles that we're released in the series failed to capture any sort of public imagination, and I knew for a fact that when people started saying "release date" that some sort of education would be required to remind past fans about a game that's nearly 20 years old, which once they again they either failed on, or just pushed it out and hoped that somehow in a modern day world, a character that looks straight of out of an early 80s action film would be the next Master Chief.

Spoiler alert: He wasn't. He tanked.

kigconker1 said:

Hahahaha nope.

kigconker1 said:
paragraphs are your friend.
Yes I know, unfortunately I was tired when I was typing this, apparently too tired to use them. Capitalization is also your friend.
He's right though. Your first post was so god awfully organized it wasn't even worth my time to read. It's also probably not a good idea to get smug with a staff member, especially Kickback.

Mako321 said:
Did someone just say that Serious Sam 3 and DX:HR were bad ?

Was about to say myself. :confused: DX:HR definitely did justice to the original games. Quibbles here and there, but there is a reason that it was almost universally praised.

Mako321 said:
Did someone just say that Serious Sam 3 and DX:HR were bad games?

Conker, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* ya. Nobody flaxs on Serious Sam.

Or, you know, Deus Ex, but whatever.

And not to be harsh, but the "I actually cried playing DNF" and "I genuinely consider suicide whenever I look at my Dreamcast" didn't help your point and were utterly hyperbolic. You can never rely on reboots to get your classic fix, so rather than complaining about modern video game devs, just go and pick up Serious Sam Classic or Sonic 2 and enjoy the series for what you remembered them for.

Just go and pick up Serious Sam Classic or Sonic 2 and enjoy the series for what you remembered them for.

The only true way to satisfy a junkie! But yeah this wasn't so much of me trying to get my classic fix, but just a discussion about devs flaxing out horrible squeals to our once beloved classics, and ruining them for future generations.

Back