A little Wii trimming

Blargaman91

I've started trimming some Wii's and this first one has a shorting issue. This is the cut:
mbo31l.jpg

The 3.3v line is shorted to ground and as such I haven't tried to turn it on yet. I can't get a clear picture but the sides are all super clean and I can't possibly sand it down smoother.
So are there any suggestions for what to look for to fix this?

The leftmost corner seems unsafe to me, but maybe its just the pic ? :s

If all sides are clean I really don't know where to look :neutral2:

The dimensions of the current cut are 6.7" x 4.3".

Yeah, the left corner is dirty, but the sides are clean for sure. I'm just wondering where the hidden 3.3v layers really are so I can focus my sanding to one location.

This other board has the same issue, but with the 1v line instead.
idsxzt.jpg

I've never modded a Wii, but I see that there's some tantalum caps and they are more used on voltage lines. They have low ESR and will always show as a "short" on the multimeter, even if there's no short. Could it be causing the issues?

Maybe on the second board because the 1v line actually shows 8 ohms (and it still won't turn on). But the 3.3v line on the first one reads dead 0 ohms.

In my experience, the traces near the USB ports and GC controller ports are extremely prone to shorting. You might try sanding along those areas to see if they are the problem areas. Otherwise, I'm not sure what it could be. The Wii is extremely finicky when you trim anything other than the outer shielding.

Back