$72 Chinese android tablets.

laingsoft

Formerly SteamDNT
I've been looking at these tablet that run the Allwinner/Rockchip A1X microprocessors, these things are pree badass. They come with an onboard Mali 400 GPU, Cortex A8 processor running at 1.2/1.0, but capable of running at 1.5. The best part? The A1X only costs like $7 bulk price for the board, meaning the tablets cost NOTHING.

This intrigued me, so I ordered one of http://dx.com/p/m746d-7-0-capacitive-screen-android-4-0-tablet-pc-w-tf-wi-fi-camera-g-sensor-white-156573 and I am going to open this thing up.

Some specs on the allwinner
1.2ghz Cortex A8 ARM Core
MALI400MP OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU
DDR3 Controller 800MHz 1GB max
2160p Hardware-accelerated Video playback (4x the resolution of 1080p)
2D Accelerated Graphics (G2D) Engine
a NAND Flash Controller that is capable of 8-way concurrent DMA (8 NAND ICs)
4 SDIO interfaces (SD 3.0, UHI class)
USB 2.0 Host as well as a 2nd USB-OTG Interface (USB-OTG can be reconfigured as USB 2.0 Host, automatically)
24-pin RGB/TTL as well as simultaneous HDMI out
SATA-II 3gb/sec
10/100 Ethernet (MII compatible)
a 2nd 24-pin RGB/TTL interface that is multiplexed (shared) on the same pins for a standard IDE (PATA) interface.
GPIO, I2C, PWM, Keyboard Matrix (8x8), built-in Resistive Touchscreen Controller, and much more.

Know what the bolded ones mean?
I do.
They mean I'm going to put a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing 120 GB solid state in this godDang tablet. and a full 1GB of DDR3 ram.

SteamDNT said:
I do.
They mean I'm going to put a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing 120 GB solid state in this godDang tablet. and a full 1GB of DDR3 ram.
They mean that is what the CPU is capable of, not what is actually on the board its put on. I highly doubt you'll find a SATA port or ram slot inside it.

I'm going to blindly accept that you know what you're talking about, and look forward to seeing this come together.

I'm also going to ignore the logic in vskid's statement.

vskid3 said:
SteamDNT said:
I do.
They mean that is what the CPU is capable of, not what is actually on the board its put on. I highly doubt you'll find a SATA port or ram slot inside it.

I am aware of this, With some careful firmware modification, and careful soldering, there will be.

Back