64 BOY wip Complete

Re: 64 BOY wip *UPDATE 01/28/10*

I know that they're asymmetrical. But as I said there is no room to put anything in to prevent that. The notches on the american one are in the back corner so anything on the corner wouldn't keep it out because of those notches. And if I put anything in it would be thinner then 3mm and easily break off. Loosing japanese games is no big deal, even at the price of an adapter.

bentomo said:
I know that they're asymmetrical. But as I said there is no room to put anything in to prevent that. The notches on the american one are in the back corner so anything on the corner wouldn't keep it out because of those notches. And if I put anything in it would be thinner then 3mm and easily break off. Loosing japanese games is no big deal, even at the price of an adapter.
Just put some toothpicks or summin in the corners of the area in front of the game. Just out enough to catch on the tab of a backwards game.

You guys really don't get why it wouldn't work. :confused:

Look at the first image.
DSC02514.jpg

As you can see it doesn't go into the front side of the case, so the front side can't be sanded into a curve. Now look at the tabs in the back corners. See how the tabs are as high as the case? Any prevention in the front would be thwarted by the tabs as seen in picture 2.
DSC02515.jpg

So the only way to prevent that is put the tabs on the back side. Thus loosing the ability to play japanese games without an adapter.

Lookin' good!!! Can't wait to see this one done. Nice case work ;) What kind of batterys are you going to use?

Same as the last one. 4700 mAh lipos. It's actually possible (but very unlikely) that I'll be able to fit 4 of them in the case. 6 hours would be awesome.

Any way, I was wondering what you guys thought of the paint job I've been planning all along.

64boypaint.jpg

Fail. A while back there was an argument about size vs. features. The argument was that while you could make a really small portable, you would inevitably have to sacrifice features. For example, I COULD build YAP64 into an AG-85, but I wouldn't be able to put in dual analog sticks, as much battery as I want, maybe even stereo sound would have to go.

Also, I don't really get that paint job, so I can't really say if it sucks or not.

This portable will not be sacrificing anything. Even if I can't fit the extra batteries in I'll still get 3 hours.

And the picture shows the front and back of the case.

IMO, those extra features suck anyway. On the portendo and the QUAD, I never touched the dpad or L, and only used A/V out once to see if it worked.

I like to have the L button at least because lots of games have it do something, but the dpad isn't really a priority.

If you want to, you can use an N64's 4p-dt power switch to switch a GC joystick to dpad. (yes, it is 4p-dt, the other pins are trimmed off. They are usually exposed just enough to solder to.)

Basement_Modder said:
IMO, those extra features suck anyway. On the portendo and the QUAD, I never touched the dpad or L, and only used A/V out once to see if it worked.

I like to have the L button at least because lots of games have it do something, but the dpad isn't really a priority.

If you want to, you can use an N64's 4p-dt power switch to switch a GC joystick to dpad. (yes, it is 4p-dt, the other pins are trimmed off. They are usually exposed just enough to solder to.)
That's really cool. The switch is really large though, but that's still neat.

I did that on the moonlight 64, but for some reason it didn't work. Test it before making the case.

Re: 64 BOY wip *UPDATE 01/31/10*

You should put some epoxy or abs cement in the holes where the 4 is messed up. Otherwise it looks good.

nobble said:
You should put some epoxy or abs cement in the holes where the 4 is messed up. Otherwise it looks good.
There already is. It's just gray so it looks like a hole.

bentomo said:
This portable will not be sacrificing anything. Even if I can't fit the extra batteries in I'll still get 3 hours.

You've sacrificed the ability to play Japanese games. That's something. Not much, but something.

Looking great! I'm a big fan of vacuum-formed cases when they are well-executed, and yours looks good so far (although I doubt my own ability to vac-form so I'm not one to judge). Just so you know, portrait format is tall, and landscape is long.

Back