5v Question...

dravethor

Hello! SO Im modding an N64 and want to hook up a component to the board so that the power to it is switched on at the same time power to the console is.

It is powered by mini usb and the wall wart reads:

output: 5v --- 1.0a

Can I hook up this component to the 5v pin (and G pin) on the n64? Seems like it should be fine but wanted some opinions first.

Thanks in advance for the help!

If you hook it up to the same place your 5v source is connected to the N64 (which it sounds like that's what you're doing), it should be fine. What is it?

SwimmingKittens said:
If you hook it up to the same place your 5v source is connected to the N64 (which it sounds like that's what you're doing), it should be fine. What is it?

Thanks Swimming Kittens!

Its a RCA to HDMI converter. I previously built a mini N64 but would prefer HDMI. Recently bought a 3d printer so now I can custom a case that will hold everything and still look stylin :)

Just be careful, if it draws closer to the 1.0A side the system'll get hot I imagine. I'd recommend testing the power draw first, and if it stays low your golden if not you may want to power it separately. Usually wall warts are overkill because of peaks in amperage, which a high peak of 1.0A shouldn't be a problem for the n64 for a split second. Also maybe test it using wall power to see if the converter heats up because that could affect the console as a whole inside a case.

Edit: if you want HDMI I'd wait for this, it'll be a much more efficient portable
http://www.retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php
But if you don't want to deal with that, pick up a 7805 regulator for like a buck and a couple capacitors.
cFcOMSI.jpg

SwimmingKittens said:
Just be careful, if it draws closer to the 1.0A side the system'll get hot I imagine. I'd recommend testing the power draw first, and if it stays low your golden if not you may want to power it separately. Usually wall warts are overkill because of peaks in amperage, which a high peak of 1.0A shouldn't be a problem for the n64 for a split second. Also maybe test it using wall power to see if the converter heats up because that could affect the console as a whole inside a case.

Edit: if you want HDMI I'd wait for this, it'll be a much more efficient portable
http://www.retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php
But if you don't want to deal with that, pick up a 7805 regulator for like a buck and a couple capacitors.
cFcOMSI.jpg

Didn't realize he had an ETA on that. Ill wait as that will definitely be a better option thanks!

Back