4 Audio Jacks?

So my goal is to have 4 audio jacks each with individual volume control. I'm assuming I'm going to need an amp. I'm not familiar with anything audio really so any help would be greatly appreciated. The console won't be running off of batteries, its running from the wall if that makes a difference.

I would definitely recommend amplifying the sound first, from there you'll just need to wire up 4 audio pots and 4 female 3.5mm connectors in parallel to the amp's output.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Universal-EarbudHeadphone-Volume-Control/

Or, for about the same amount of money you would spend on parts, you could just get one of these, which will give you a higher quality final result, and is probably more along the lines of the "right" way to do it:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS
Note well: This uses 1/4in jacks instead of the 3.5 that most cheap headphones come with, so you'd likely need to get adapters for it as well.
Of course, if you read this review, you'll find that with low impedance headphones, you may need to modify the circuit a bit on this particular produce. He links to another product that doesn't have that same issue, but ATM it's a few dollars more expensive.

Last edited:
You probably have a bad connection somewhere. Did you check for continuity? Is ground wired up correctly? Are your wires all in good shape?

My wires are in good shape and I'm confident in my continuity, but I probably don't have things wired up correctly, I'm a bit lost

Do you have anything else plugged into the audio? If it's plugged up to a TV or stereo as well as your headphones, you're probably dealing with a ground loop. If you wired directly to the board, try turning it on without the av cable plugged in and listen for the power up sound. If that works, try again, but without the audio running to your tv set.

Another thing you could check, and I know it sounds stupid, is that your headphones are plugged all of the way in. A lot of times, new headphone jacks require a good bit of force to put the plug all of the way in for the first few times you use them. It's really easy to just plug it in, feel the first click, and then completely overlook that you've still got another click to go.
Happens way too often. Makes me feel like an idiot every time.

Last edited:
Makes me feel like an idiot every time.

How can you tell the difference between that and your baseline?

As for the issue at hand, where are you pulling your audio from on the gamecube? Directly from the A/V port, I assume?

A ground loop will not cause silence to my knowledge. It adds noise.
Where is your headphone jack hooked up?

How can you tell the difference between that and your baseline?

As for the issue at hand, where are you pulling your audio from on the gamecube? Directly from the A/V port, I assume?
I am pulling audio from AV yeah. Im having trouble figuring out whats wrong though. before i had the amp i got a quiet crackle, i wired up the amp and the crackle is still there just louder. so i can assume the amp is doing its job but why the crackle?

Well, are you positive the gamecube, or it's audio output at least, works? That'd be the first thing to check, since if your GCN is kaput, chasing your circuit is a waste of time.

Back