3v to 5v or 6v?

Mako321

I like purpale ponies
I need to somehow regulate 3v up to 5 or 6v, possibly the way lob did in his noacp 2. I'm wondering: how can I step up the voltage and how did LOB do it?

I think I just might use this in my portable to step up a 3.7v li-po to 5v for my system and screen. Thanks for asking about this, mako. :)

I might also do that, actually. What's the highest voltage you can put into a n64 3.3v line? lastly, is there a 4v-3.3v regulator I could use also? (would it be at all beneficial to have my li-ion cells wired as 3.7v instead of 7.4v?)

If they're a decent capacity, and your system and screen are very low power draw, then yes. Otherwise, probably not. I'm just going to do that because my system and screen together draw less than an amp, and I'm really pressed for room in my case. Note that if you use a lower voltage, the amperage of the system increases (usually).

I looked at the data sheet for the step up regulator, and it says this:

General
A resistor must be connected between the VO Adjust control (pin 3) and GND (pin 1) to set the output voltage of the PTN04050C product. The adjustment range is from 5 V to 15 V. If pin 3 is left open, the output voltage defaults to the lowest value.

So that means I don't need a resistor if I want 5v, correct?

If it's just a small portable - then use AA batteries, they don't cost much and they can be easily replaced - plus they're conveniant. either that or a rechargable built in 5v or 6v battery.

loip90876 said:
If it's just a small portable - then use AA batteries, they don't cost much and they can be easily replaced - plus they're conveniant. either that or a rechargable built in 5v or 6v battery.

After trying to deal with rechargable AAs, buying a flaxload of non-rechargables, and then getting a device which doesn't need batteries, you'll rethink this. Really. Plus, you have to deal with the difference in voltage between rechargable and non-rechargable batteries.

not even a snes will run TOO well on AA's.(worse than a gamegear and lynx combined methinks)

XCVG said:
loip90876 said:

After trying to deal with rechargable AAs, buying a flaxload of non-rechargables, and then getting a device which doesn't need batteries, you'll rethink this. Really. Plus, you have to deal with the difference in voltage between rechargable and non-rechargable batteries.
mako321 said:
not even a snes will run TOO well on AA's.(worse than a gamegear and lynx combined methinks)

Well somehow a GBA seems to run 24 HRs(I accidentally left it on for a whole day, it was still on and the light was bright red.

loip90876 said:
XCVG said:
loip90876 said:

mako321 said:

Well somehow a GBA seems to run 24 HRs(I accidentally left it on for a whole day, it was still on and the light was bright red.

Which is the near-equivalent of keeping a phone on standby mode - it consumes very little power when there is nothing really going on in the game, especially when there's no backlight to power.

and: a gba was meant to be handheld running off of AA's, a snes wasn't.

*solders CR2032 to xbox 360*

To be fair, though, in the bad old early days of portabilizing, AAs were acceptable and even common. It's not that they suck, it's just that lithium rechargables are vastly superior.

Back