1989 famicom true rgb, s-video, stereo sound, nes controller

Drakon

I managed to repair my famicom (was a random broken trace that appeared to be fine). So I made it f#cking awesome. Here's a quick schematic of how to wire nes controller ports into any famicom:

famicomtonescontrollerportwiring.jpg

Here's the system after I did everything to it that could possibly be done:

famicomawesomepcb.jpg

famicomofdoompcbbottom.jpg

And the demonstration video:

Re: 1989 famicom true rgb, s-video, stereo sound, nes contro

So, what you gonna do with the microphone? Just wondering.

what kind of sorcery is this?

Kickback said:

Leave it disconnected. Nothing good ever used it. If I wanted to I could wire it into a header which connects externally to a separate mic but I don't care that much.

brunoip said:
what kind of sorcery is this?

The best kind.

Drakon said:
Kickback said:

Leave it disconnected. Nothing good ever used it.
The Hyrule Fantasy: Zeruda no Densetsu is nothing good? :stare:

^^^
Yay for FDS music + NES controller!

grossaffe said:
The Hyrule Fantasy: Zeruda no Densetsu is nothing good? :stare:

I don't play it, anyway if it's something I really wanted I could either install a microphone jack in the front or even plug the original player 2 control pad in and have the cord come out the front or side or somewhere convenient.

ProgMetalMan said:
^^^
Yay for FDS music + NES controller!

Haha you can already get that on the av famicom. With modding you can get it on a nes too.

Way to beat me to it, Drakon! I'm still waiting on my Famicom to arrive in the mail. Definitely going to have to step up my game when it does arrive! Well done.

Threedog said:
Way to beat me to it, Drakon! I'm still waiting on my Famicom to arrive in the mail. Definitely going to have to step up my game when it does arrive! Well done.

Thanks. I wasn't aware I was racing against anyone, I've done all these mods before long ago in other versions of the nes / famicom. What mods do you have planned for your famicom?

Drakon said:
Threedog said:

Thanks. I wasn't aware I was racing against anyone, I've done all these mods before long ago in other versions of the nes / famicom. What mods do you have planned for your famicom?

I'm working on more or less the same stuff you did to yours, minus the stereo mod. So far, I've swapped the RF board with one from a toaster NES, giving me AV, a better power supply, and if anyone cares, it now works on channel 3 and 4 with the RF switch, rather than channel 95 1/2. I still need to figure out a way to fit that RF board inside of the famicom case, or at least pretty it up some by putting it inside a project box or something. I'm leaving the original controllers in place and making a NES controller adapter to plug into the accessory port. But I can't do any of that stuff this week, because of work. But once things calm down, I'll get some pictures up and get some more work done.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10950 <------ if you want to follow my progress. No pictures yet, I know that makes the whole think sort of pointless, but I'm workin' on it.

Why RF at all? You could just get AV out and save the space.

ProgMetalMan said:
Why RF at all? You could just get AV out and save the space.

A few reasons, really.
1. Using the NES style RF box allows my to use pretty much any wall wart power source I can lay my hands on, since the RF box has a built in rectifier.
2. AV+RF= redundancy. Do I need it? Nah. But I got it.
3. To satisfy my own curiosity. A lot of you folks have completed so many of these mods that you're probably halfway bored with them by now, but I'm not to that point yet :lol: And I always wondered if there was any interchangeability.

I won't lie though, mostly I just did it because those were the parts I had lying around.

NES rf board is pretty small, just relocate the 7805 and smallish heatsink to make the whole thing flat. If the heatsink is still too big you can unfold it and cut some off. I didn't do any planning with removing the rf box and building just the necessary parts I sort of winged it using what I know.

The expansion adapter to nes controller thing is a bad idea. It's missing some connections. I built one, it works with most games, but some games like mario 2 / usa don't work because it doesn't have all the necessary connections.

Most of my projects are like that, I have stuff laying around so I build something with it. Some of my most recent projects were more like "I want to play this game but I don't want to pay for an expensive super rare game it so I'll just build it." Some games I was able to build with stuff I happened to have laying around from other projects + carts I don't play that people gave me.

Glad you're doing this stuff to satisfy curiosity and not just to get attention / make some quick cash. It's a hobby but some people like to use it for personal gain.

Back